Old Pc

My computer is prity old now (I hate to admit it) But i have a AMD 2600XP CPU but the computer came with a 1800 XP When i upgraded to the 2600Xp i didnt take into consideration the ram speed My comp now runs at 1.93 GHz does anyone know if my ram is slowing it up :confused:

LaptopExtreme

VIP Member
I dont think it's your RAM speed, but it could be that the motherboard doesn't support the 2600 chip. Try looking for a new bios update- maybe there's a fix for newer processors.

celsdogg

an Athlon XP 2600 wont run at 2.6ghz. it actually runs at 1.91ghz, so you are fine. the 2600 is an equivlency to a intel chip.

the difference is in pipeline length and basically, it is because the chips are different.

Yes i was told to update my bios but i couldnt get the update as the link on the site isnt working but i will be soon updating my computer so it doesnt matter i was just wondering Thanks alot

4W4K3

VIP Member
The 2600 XP uses a 133MHz FSB speed (266MHz total). So if your RAM is PC2100 at least, and your motherboard can runs a FSB of 133MHz you should be fine. I believe default it runs at 133*15, which is roughly 1950MHz.

If you have an able motherboard however, it can go higher more than likely.