Old PSU's failure reason for my possible GPU's death?

jonny-chip

I restored my old my pc to working order with a new 500w corsair PSU with 34A on a single 12V+ rail. My last PSU was a non descript brand and provided 500w however, it gave 26A on 12+ rail. The old PSU was quickly failing, the PC became harder to turn on and in the end it died.

Now that i installed this new PSU, the PC works and shows display however it's using the motherboard's intergrated chip (Nv6150LE). I then switched the primary video adapter in the BIOS to PCI-E, even then my 8800GTS 640MB didn't display but its fan were moving :confused:.

So would you agree my old PSU's slow failure and death brought my GPU to an end?

ice

In some cases, yes that is it.
Bad PSU's can cause damage to your entire system HDD's GPU's etc.
Lets say your card draws maybe 220W in load and your CPU draws maybe like 230W, with the rest of the parts like floppys, HDD's etc etc., and you have a 500W PSU with no brand on it whatsoever, that would cause a system failure and is nowhere near good.

Dystopia

In some cases, yes that is it.
Bad PSU's can cause damage to your entire system HDD's GPU's etc.
Lets say your card draws maybe 220W in load and your CPU draws maybe like 230W, with the rest of the parts like floppys, HDD's etc etc., and you have a 500W PSU with no brand on it whatsoever, that would cause a system failure and is nowhere near good.

:eek: which CPU takes 230W??? I think the most is 125W if you have a high end one :p Chances are his took 60W. GPU took probably around what you said..

Jonny, it may not even be the GPU. Have you tested the GPU in another computer?

Right now I'd say the possibilities are that the slot on the mobo is dead (unlikely though) or as you said the GPU.

HOWEVER, before saying its broken and tossing it out, make sure you hooked power to it! It requires it's own connector, either a 6-pin or 4-pin. not to be confused with molex connectors, which have 4 pins. The four pin connector is square.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like said. When you changed the power supply out, did you plug the cards PCIe power connector back in?

Last edited:

jonny-chip

Yes my 6 pin PCI-E connector is connected.

I've came across another probability of my GPU not displaying, my DVI to VGA converter may be wrong one. Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
I have a DVI-A male(analog only) to VGA female converter, the DVI-A end connects to the graphic card and coming from the VGA end of the converter is the VGA cable which goes to the monitor.

Therefore no digital signal will go through the DVI-A converter.

So wouldn't i need a DVI-I (analog and digital) to VGA converter In order to get display?

If any of you guys got a VGA monitor, please check the pins on the DVI converter going into your GPU and compare the pins on wiki and see what it is for me please :D.

A DVI-A to VGA converter picture:
1145-A.jpg

Last edited:

ice

31!m!n80r: My bad lol well I was just trying to explain that if that was the case then it wouldn't work.

Jonny:
Since you use an adapter, just like I do, check to see if the screws that are supposed to hold the adapter in place with your VGA screen and GPU output are in place.
They may be loose and not connected. That could be the reason you're not getting any display. Also check to see if your VGA cable is attached to the screen itself.

If that's not the case then it might be something wrong with the adapter but I believe that's kinda rare

Rocko

Yes my 6 pin PCI-E connector is connected.

I've came across another probability of my GPU not displaying, my DVI to VGA converter may be wrong one. Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
I have a DVI-A male(analog only) to VGA female converter, the DVI-A end connects to the graphic card and coming from the VGA end of the converter is the VGA cable which goes to the monitor.

Therefore no digital signal will go through the DVI-A converter.

So wouldn't i need a DVI-I (analog and digital) to VGA converter In order to get display?

If any of you guys got a VGA monitor, please check the pins on the DVI converter going into your GPU and compare the pins on wiki and see what it is for me please :D.

A DVI-A to VGA converter picture:
1145-A.jpg

Thats right, in optimal cases, that adapter would work.

bomberboysk

That connector will work fine...

A failed power supply, especially a no name like that can cause damage to other components. Most do not have over current or over voltage protection, as well as poor ripple suppression, often resulting in damage when the unit fails.