Old razer vs new asus

Howeller

I am looking at buying a basic gaming laptop just to run some basic games and some work software, nothing particularly high power.

I am looking at my options and was wondering what people would choose a Razer RZ09-0351/i7-10750H/16GB Ram/256GB SSD/GTX 1660Ti with a 2 year warranty from a reputable supplier

Or something new like

ASUS TUF Dash F15 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, RTX 3050 Ti, 512 GB SSD

Im not big on specs and what they mean and what woykd be best. I get that normally buying used you risk it being faulty and having issues but with the warrenty would it be better.
To me the specs look better on the used laptop but i could be missing something

beers

Staff member
TUF Dash are usually a lower end market segment, 1660Ti generally seems to outperform the 3050Ti although they trade blows in different titles.

Howeller

TUF Dash are usually a lower end market segment, 1660Ti generally seems to outperform the 3050Ti although they trade blows in different titles.

I did know the tuf was lower end, thats why its the same price as the used razer. I was wondering if people would go for the used laptop that seems higher spec or the new lower spec laptop

Darren

Staff member
What's the exact processor in the Asus you're looking at?

When @beers says "lower end" he's meaning more in relation to Asus's overall lineup. TUF is slotted below their ROG lineup. Really though you should mainly just be looking at raw specs.

The Razer has a bit higher specs, particularly the CPU, but ASUS will have a factory warranty and maybe run less hot/noisy. If you're not doing hardcore gaming I'd maybe just roll with the ASUS. 256GB on the Razer also seems pretty small to me.

Howeller

What's the exact processor in the Asus you're looking at?

When @beers says "lower end" he's meaning more in relation to Asus's overall lineup. TUF is slotted below their ROG lineup. Really though you should mainly just be looking at raw specs.

The Razer has a bit higher specs, particularly the CPU, but ASUS will have a factory warranty and maybe run less hot/noisy. If you're not doing hardcore gaming I'd maybe just roll with the ASUS. 256GB on the Razer also seems pretty small to me.
It says its a
  • Intel® Core™ i5-11300H Processor
Its only 256gb but there is a 512 version for slightly more. I also dont store much on my laptops normally. They are stored on the cloud and a nas, the only thing really on the hardrive would be games and software

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Games can easily crack 100GB these days, but really just depends on what you play. I think I saw it has an expansion slot for another M.2 drive if you wanted.

CPU comparison. i7 is faster slightly, particularly in heavily threaded applications.

Given all this, I'd say it's kind of personal preference. I would maybe swing for the Asus just because I don't like Razer and would prefer a manufacturer warranty to something used. If you intend to more strictly game, the Razer probably makes more sense. Asus is probably better on battery life given the components. Price is also a factor, which you didn't mention.

beers

Staff member
Slotting in your own upgrade would probably be less expensive, SK P31 drives for 1 TB are usually around $105-120

If you can stretch your budget a little bit, as per Jarrod's video the 3060 is usually worth the difference. Sometimes you can find some cracking deals though, 3050ti are sometimes around the $750-850 range.

Otherwise those would both be pretty comparable and primarily down to your preference.

Games can easily crack 100GB these days, but really just depends on what you play. I think I saw it has an expansion slot for another M.2 drive if you wanted.

CPU comparison. i7 is faster slightly, particularly in heavily threaded applications.

Given all this, I'd say it's kind of personal preference. I would maybe swing for the Asus just because I don't like Razer and would prefer a manufacturer warranty to something used. If you intend to more strictly game, the Razer probably makes more sense. Asus is probably better on battery life given the components. Price is also a factor, which you didn't mention.
Very true, warzone itself (with 4k textures) cannot fit on a 256gb drive anymore
Also OP, while the both the 1660 and 3050ti are good for 1080p gaming the 3050 supports ray tracing for what it's worth (though the performance may not be acceptable depending on the game)

Howeller

Thanks for everybodys response. I think i might go for the asus from what people have said. Does anyone have a suggestion if other laptops to look at around that price point $900-$1000?

Thanks for everybodys help so far