Old WD Hard Drive Spins up, does not click

iKokomo

I had an old HD that would not power up, so I replaced the PCB with the exact same model and now it powers on! Yay!
The only problem is the hard drive does not click at all, the motor just runs, but besides that, there is no other sounds.
The hard drive never mounts.

Is there a way to fix this?

It is a SATA Western Digital WD3200JS

Thanks!

Ps. There is nothing on google about non clicking hard drives, just clicking hard drives.

kam

I had an old HD that would not power up, so I replaced the PCB with the exact same model and now it powers on! Yay!
The only problem is the hard drive does not click at all, the motor just runs, but besides that, there is no other sounds.
The hard drive never mounts.

Is there a way to fix this?

It is a SATA Western Digital WD3200JS

Thanks!

Ps. There is nothing on google about non clicking hard drives, just clicking hard drives.

Sounds like it's dead, you might need to transfer your data onto another HD. You can try the freezing method, which is basically sticking the hd in the freezer for a couple hours so the data shrinks...I've only done this once and it worked fairly good, but make sure you put the HD into a zip lock/waterproof bag (to stop any moisture getting inside). Other than that I'm not too sure what could solve your issue :(

beers

Staff member
How did the old one die? What kind of a replacement PCB did you get, was it from a used or damaged/clicking drive?

I'd probably say screw it and spend what you would on labor just buying a new drive.