OMG! Someone help?...

pyro

New Member
Ok. Here's the deal, my gf's Mom wants me to fix her computer, no big deal.
Well, I fixed it before, but the install wasn't very clean. It had some issues, but it was working.
Well, someone got a bad virus on it, and completely crashed the install. So I went to reformat, and low and behold, more problems. So I thought maybe a sector on the HD was damaged or corrupt or something. Se we got a new HD.
Well, turns out, I'm having the SAME exact issues. Well, not the exact, but close.
I was going to install Windows 7. It got to about 80% and said something about it can't finish or something, same thing it said when I tried putting it on when the old HD was in.
So I aim for good ol' XP. Took an original XP Home install disk, and at about half way it I got BSOD. Happened before on the old HD as well. The error was always the some, nothing was explained.
So I grabbed my modded XP disk and ran it. It got to about 80-ish% and complained about a DLL file not being present, which is completely false. I recently used this disk yesterday to install on my brother's computer. So I just hit escape to skip it. It went through, but as you can imagine there's all kinds of issues with the install. Windows update won't run, BITS service is all jacked up, etc. Plus when I right click the taskbar, and go to properties, I can "customize" the start menu. THe options simply are not there, haha?

Anyways, I could careless about the install, I'm going to reformat probably. What I would like to know is, if it wasn't the HD messing up the installs, WTF IS?! Seriously, I've never seen a problem like this and it's driving me insane!!!

Help!

Thanks :}
 
Best start checking your hardware. Swap out the optical drive, try some different RAM (or run tests using memtest86). It could be motherboard related even, but typically(not always) it either works or doesn't.
 
Thanks, I'll run and test the RAM right now.
As for the board, I'm sure it isn't the board. And I know it isn't the optical drive. I took it directly out of this computer (One I'm using now) and it works just fine, and it's the same drive I used, with the same Windows 7 disk, to install on here. It went through just fine.

The only other hardware is PSU, CPU, and RAM. I'm sure the PSU wouldn't cause such a problem, as well as CPU.
 
Thank you, The_Other_One.

Ran Memtest and right off the bat it had 3 errors. It froze at the screen everytime, though, so Idk what the errors were (or of memtest tells you).
I did take a picture of it, though. I'll upload it in a few for you to see.
I pulled one stick out and it didn't pass, pulled the other one and it passed. So right now all I have is 256 in it ;o...lol...

Anyways, I didn't know RAM could cause a problem like that. Oh, and I reformatted and there was no issue this time, at all. Woot!

I'll post that picture in a few, or tomorrow. Whenever I finish the updates and all that crap on this computer x.x.
 
Back
Top