On holiday in the USA from the UK wanting to buy a laptop for university

salman

Hey guys
I haven't been on computerforum in a while :D

I'm on holiday in the USA for a couple of weeks and since I start university this September back home in the UK; I'm thinking it would be a smart idea to buy a laptop while i'm here in the USA and save a few £ (or $ :p) .

Could anyone point me in the direction of good laptop retailers?

+if anyone has time some laptop recommendations would be great. I have a maximum budget of about $630 USD.

Thanks a lot everyone.

DMGrier

VIP Member
In the US, in store I would say Bestbuy. Just never buy best buy geek squads optimized computers, which they have a lot in store that are not.

I just bought a Sony Vaio about a month ago from there and it is $599 and the specs are listed below. The only difference is it came with Windows 7 64 bit when I bought it.

strollin

Where in the US are you? If there is a Fry's Electronics or a Micro Center where you're at I would pick them over BestBuy. I think I'd even buy at Walmart before BestBuy.

claptonman

I was going to suggest mircocenter, also, if you're near one. Careful though, you could spend hours in that place!

Best Buy isn't that bad. As long as the price is right and you don't buy any extended warranties (Not that you would if you don't live in the US) they're just like anywhere else. Officemax and office depot are some other retailers.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Where in the US are you? If there is a Fry's Electronics or a Micro Center where you're at I would pick them over BestBuy. I think I'd even buy at Walmart before BestBuy.

Are you high? Walmart carries some of the worst models out there, not to mention a lot of HP models, which we know how this forum, generally feels about HP.

Office Depot is okay, they do carry select models of Lenovo Thinkpad which is nice.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
brands mart USA or Comp USA if they are close by i would def hit those stores up.

Aren't all Comp USA stores closed? I would try Microcenter if you have one around you. They have a pretty large selection for pretty reasonable prices.

billabong27

When you said $630 this one popped into my mind
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+IdeaPad+V570+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Silver+Gray/2731265.p?id=1218347164819&skuId=2731265&st=lenovo%20i5&cp=1&lp=1

Or they just got a new sony, it's a 14" (great for college desks and traveling from class to class.) A little more but meh, ur call.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+White/2794138.p?id=1218351646135&skuId=2794138&st=sony%20i5&cp=1&lp=1

I'd say get the protection plans, except ur heading back to the UK, the optimization probably isn't an optimal thing for you either.

jonnyp11

or he can always order from newegg, but yes i know best buy is a good store, along with micrcenter, the 1 time i went to fry's there products were nice and all but their selectiong wasn't the best at the time, idk, but i just hate walmart for anything really, electronic at least, i laughed when i looked at their components section once, everyday low prices my ass.

salman

Very nice laptop, better than your current desktop! haha.

Hey! my faithful desktop has served me well over the years, it's gonna be handed down to my sister; it's still great for playing games on low settings/movies in HD/ and internet browsing- the only reason i need a laptop i bceause of univgersity i'll be travelling back and forth on the weekends to home.

Does anyone know if toshiba have international warranty? So will i still be covered when i take the laptop home to the uk if something goes wrong?

tremmor

Its a nice laptop. 64 bit 7 and specs are good. I like Toshiba. "Always worked well. Not to heavy. Its the 17" that ya need the suitcase and nothing portable about it.
Your good to go.

salman

Right guys i think i'm gonna go with the toshiba laptop- i rang toshiba up and they said they do international warranty on all of their laptops.

Any other advice before i buy it?
can i get student discount or anything?

paulcheung

i would go with a bestbuy lenovo
since they are the most durable laptops out there and bestbuy offers expensive ones for a really low price
i was thinking http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+...Gray/2731265.p?id=1218347164819&skuId=2731265 or http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+...lack/2821479.p?id=1218354582653&skuId=2821479

but you can also get a refurbished IBM
they wont probably be the latest and finest but are worth the bucks

The Toshiba has dedicated video card, and the lenovo don't have dedicated card. I would go for the toshiba anytime than the lenovo.