On the use of your secondary storing HD

jo86

Hey guys.
I'm looking to upgrade the D Drive where I mostly store stuff but am hesitating between upgrading my current HDD to an SSD for better performance, or getting a much larger 4TB HDD. Both around the same price. Does it significantly matter the speeds with which you access your files on your secondary storage drive ? Like in my case, when I'm working on a music project, I need access to sound libraries on the storage D drive, but would it really improve performance to get an SSD there, or should I just look for more capacity if the speeds don't actually improve all that much ?
Thanking you.

strollin

The speedy performance of an SSD is most notable when used as the OS drive since it speeds up booting and program loading which makes the whole system snappier. Using an SSD for data storage won't produce the same speed benefit so using a spinner for data storage makes sense.

beers

Staff member
Depends what you're storing. If it's just bulk media like videos then it doesn't make much of a difference.

If you do other workloads that need a lot of IOPS or transfer rate like video editing you'd see better performace on the SSD side.

jo86

The speedy performance of an SSD is most notable when used as the OS drive since it speeds up booting and program loading which makes the whole system snappier. Using an SSD for data storage won't produce the same speed benefit so using a spinner for data storage makes sense.
I know, I'm getting a fresh m.2 disk for the main C drive in a few days. But I was thinking later, I'd also give myself a boost with an SSD over the current HDD upgrade for the secondary storage D drive.

Depends what you're storing. If it's just bulk media like videos then it doesn't make much of a difference.

If you do other workloads that need a lot of IOPS or transfer rate like video editing you'd see better performace on the SSD side.
Well yes it does depend on what I'm storing there, as you say just videos and stuff wouldn't make a big difference. But I'd be storing Gigabytes and gigabytes of sound libraries to load up on my music production software, so I'm thinking maybe having a better performing storage drive would make a noticeable difference in speed, but I'm not actually sure, so is it worth investing in an HDD to SSD upgrade or best to get just a larger HDD and go from 1TB to, say, 2 or 4TB.