Onboard Sound and dedicated sound card not working

waffles

Hey everyone!
So my Soundblaster Z card has been really buggy, the center channel doesn't work half the time, and channels switch and between each other and turn off randomly. I tried everything I could find on the internet but nothing worked so I decided to use my onboard audio. Unfortunately that doesn't work either -_-. Theres only two situations Ive found where it works. When I configure the speakers, and click test it I hear the test sounds. The second way i can hear sound is when I play starcraft 2. I tried a couple other games but starcraft 2 is the only game that sound works with. I've tried everything I could find on the internet for both my dedicated and onboard sound. Does anyone know how to fix either?

Things I've tried with Soundblaster z Card:
Reinstalling soundblaster software, rolling back drivers, disabling onboard sound.

Things I've tried with onboard sound: installed latest drivers multiple times, configured sound.

For both, I made sure the correct device was the "default device" in the sound control panel.
Im really at a loss of what to do. Any help would be much appreciated!
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
Onboard Audio: Realtek HD audio
Speakers: Logitech z506 5.1 surround sound speakers

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You got it in the right port? Tried different speakers. I mean if both onboard and dedicated sound has issues, it might be the speakers or cables.

waffles

You got it in the right port? Tried different speakers. I mean if both onboard and dedicated sound has issues, it might be the speakers or cables.
Yup correct ports. The same channel switching happens on my headphones which work fine with everything else. I don't think its a speaker or cable issue, just the way it switches channels and stuff on the dedicated sounds like a software problem and the on-board sound only working when using special applications also seems like a software issue.
Are you using Windows 10? I heard about updates messing around with audio recently.
Yup I'm using Windows 10 :)