OneDrive

lostsoul62

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. Why would I want to put my files on OneDrive when I have so much space on my Hard Drives? They say if your hard drive crashes you have a backup on OneDrive so are there people out there who don't have backups? I have 9 backups of all my data and I know I'm a little strange but if you really don't have a copy of your data when Hard Drives are so cheap then you deserve to lose you stuff. I understand OneDrive to share but other than sharing and backups I see no purpose in OneDrive so am I missing something?

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. Why would I want to put my files on OneDrive when I have so much space on my Hard Drives? They say if your hard drive crashes you have a backup on OneDrive so are there people out there who don't have backups? I have 9 backups of all my data and I know I'm a little strange but if you really don't have a copy of your data when Hard Drives are so cheap then you deserve to lose you stuff. I understand OneDrive to share but other than sharing and backups I see no purpose in OneDrive so am I missing something?
I don't really have any backups. I park my important docs and photos on OneDrive. I don't see it going anywhere anytime since it's built right into the OS so I trust it as much as any other backup cloud solution (privacy not withstanding).

Sharing is also a perk, particularly with Office based products.

lostsoul62

If you go to amazon you can buy a 1TB Passport Hard Drive for $49 to back up your data. After 2 days on the job an engineer came up to me and said where is my data and I said on the server, well he lost 6 months of work. So I reach into my desk and pulled out a Hard Drive which was a backup I did the first day on the job and he didn't lose his data. As a Moderator I am very surprise you don't have a backup.

beers

Staff member
Off-site backup and access across multiple devices are the big plays.

I'd trust cloud storage far more than an external drive from a data continuity standpoint, ideally you can blend the two as a redundancy scheme.

Last edited:

lostsoul62

Because I have so many backup including off site I only used OneDrive to share pictures. I will admit I don't or understand Onedrive like I should but I always thought that having data in the cloud could be hack so I guess I really am missing something and should do some research. Thanks

beers

Staff member
Eh, there's no 'right or wrong' way to leverage the service. If you found a feature that makes things easier for you such as picture sharing then, sweet!

I roll my own Colo type of backups and redundancy, although it's super easy to store a resume or something and be able to forward that via mobile device which leverages cloud storage.

Darren

Staff member
If you go to amazon you can buy a 1TB Passport Hard Drive for $49 to back up your data. After 2 days on the job an engineer came up to me and said where is my data and I said on the server, well he lost 6 months of work. So I reach into my desk and pulled out a Hard Drive which was a backup I did the first day on the job and he didn't lose his data. As a Moderator I am very surprise you don't have a backup.

I'm fully aware on how to do backups, I work in an IT department after all and have personally set up backups for some of our servers. I mean I do have backups, but the only things somewhat important to me are my documents and pictures, and my backup solution being OneDrive. I don't save anything else that I can't redownloaded easily and I trust OneDrive so it works for me.

I have a lot of movies and TV shows I don't want to lose but I'm going to get a NAS soon for that purpose.