online cloud storage? Dropbox, drive etc

dark_angel

Just wondering what people are using, if any.

I've had dropbox, drive and asus storage. I'm finding I need one with a lot of storage for my photos and i'm sharing files with a number of people more so looking at a paid option. The 1tb for $10 from dropbox sounds alright but wondering if any others out there that offer more, Dropbox is just more space and slightly better sharing options and remote wipe.

beers

Staff member
Whatever you prefer really.

Google gives 1 TB 'free' when being a fiber subscriber, although Dropbox seems to have more bandwidth than the rest uploading to them (usually get around 60-80 mbit).

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I use Dropbox myself. I'm sad now though because my extra 3GB from "The Great space Race" was just a promotion and just expired last week, so I had to remove all my photos from Dropbox (no big deal). I'm considering paying for the 1TB of space but I don't use all of that space currently.

In any case, I'm happy with Dropbox.

C4C

Drive is nice since it's connected to Gmail, Google Docs, YouTube, etc.

Dropbox is nice because it's simple.

Geoff

VIP Member
It's personal preference for the most part. I primarily use my personal NAS at home for all my cloud storage, however I do use Dropbox as it provides an easy way to transfer files between machines and share files with others. I find that Dropbox has the largest number of third party software integration, such as my personal favorite DropSync for Android, as well as a very robust client application. Of course this comes at a cost, and Dropbox is one of the most expensive. I recently lost my 50GB promo from Samsung, so now I only use it for camera uploads.

I do. Where did I say I didn't? FTP is a formality.
Then why did you say FTP instead of SFTP?

Agent Smith

It's a FTP CLIENT! I said FTP Client. WinSCP to be precise. Google FTP client and see what you find.

Anyway. I should mention that you should encrypt the crap you upload to the cloud. I use the SFX archive with 7 Zip. For other stuff a Truecrypt container works.

Geoff

VIP Member
Anyway. I should mention that you should encrypt the crap you upload to the cloud. I use the SFX archive with 7 Zip. For other stuff a Truecrypt container works.
So you 7zip all the data you send to the cloud? Seems extremely tedious and unnecessary.

Agent Smith

No, not unnecessary when it is a database full of passwords. I use the SFX archive that 7Z uses. That uses AES 256. I use a very strong password.

Geoff

VIP Member
No, not unnecessary when it is a database full of passwords. I use the SFX archive that 7Z uses. That uses AES 256. I use a very strong password.
So the only thing you store in the cloud is a file full of your passwords? You know there is software out there like LastPass or SafeInCloud that lets you securely store your passwords and other confidential information right? Lots of people use cloud storage for backup of non-confidential data like camera uploads, personal documents, media, etc.

Agent Smith

*sigh* I said database i.e Mysql from my site. I backup to no less than 5 locations. The passwords are bcryted, but why wouldn't I want to encrypt my directory and database?

I use an addon developed by three people at Standford in Pale Moon for passwords. Each site is unique and no less than 15 characters long using at least one symbol. I do have Keepass for stuff I can't use the addon for and storing other stuff. But actually I SFXed the Keepass database and sent it to the cloud. If the computer crashes I'm screwed. I only clone the drive on all my machines once every three months or so. Huge PITA. Keepass info, changes almost daily.

Last edited: