WIndows 10 Only 16gb of dram shown in computer

ssal

I'd just put together a new computer for my friend. The MBO is the Gigabyte N450M DS3H and the CPU is a Ryzen 7 2700x with 2x16 gb of DDR4.

In the BIO setup, it shows 32gb installed.

But in the computer, under task manager, or in This PC property, it shows only 16gb installed.

What is missing here?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What bios version is installed? Just click on the mainboard tab in cpuz and look where it says version under bios section.

ssal

The manual said slot 1 and 2 and they are in the right slots.
The BIOS said 32gb. C-PUZ said 32gb.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try removing all sticks, then insert one and boot windows, see what it says. Then shut down and insert the other stick and see what it says. Also try updating to F51 and see what that does.

ssal

OK. I updated the latest BIOS and now it show 32gb in Windows 10.
But 16gb is hardware reserved.

I check the msconfig and it is OK (unchecked) in the boot tab.

I also edited the registry "ClearPageFileAtShutdown".

But it is still reserving 16gb leaving 16 usable.

Last edited:

ssal

I did everything I could come up with.

I cannot free up the 16 gb reserved for hardware. I changed the profile to XMP, but it is not running at 3200 MHz.

1597507816192.png

Intel_man

VIP Member
swap your sticks around and see if that does anything.

Seems like faulty ram tbh. I'd buzz Corsair customer support (I recall you had corsair LPX memory?) and see what they can come up with. They're usually pretty good at finding a solution or replacing them.

ssal

swap your sticks around and see if that does anything.

Seems like faulty ram tbh. I'd buzz Corsair customer support (I recall you had corsair LPX memory?) and see what they can come up with. They're usually pretty good at finding a solution or replacing them.
I'll call Gigabyte and then Corsair Monday.
But if it's the problem with the memory stick, wouldn't it just NOT recognizing it, instead of "hardware reserved"?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Depends on where it fails. Usually, you just won't post and the mobo will beep at you with the memory fault code.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There are sites online that say its the memory actually, even though it does register all of it. I was reading some yesterday and someone actually replaced his and it fixed the reserved memory issue. Or it possibly could be a bios setting.

ssal

There are sites online that say its the memory actually, even though it does register all of it. I was reading some yesterday and someone actually replaced his and it fixed the reserved memory issue. Or it possibly could be a bios setting.
I picked up another 2x16 Corsair LPX today. Swapped them out. It's the same.
When I put all 4x16 in, the hardware reserved is 32 gb.
What's the chance that I have both 2x16 defective?