Only 7.92Gb usable ram at 1600Mhz

Chriszz11

I am currently using my computer for Video game development. I just installed 20 gigabytes of 1600 ram and it was only running at 1333. I went into Bios to change it and got it to run at 1600, but it will only use 8Gb. It will use all 20Gb at 1333 but only 8Gb at 1600. Any suggestions would be great.

My Build:
970A-UD3p Mobo and FX-6350 CPU

The ram sticks I am using is a bit mismatched. I have an 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws stick, a 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws stick, and two 4GB Samsung sticks. could this be why? Thanks in advance!

Chriszz11

I will do that as soon as i get home. I would like to figure this out, i paid for the 1600 ram, it would be a shame to not be able to use it.

salvage-this

Agreed. I've used that board before. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work at the rated speeds.

Welcome to CF!

tylerjrb

mismatched RAM will probably be why. Do they have voltage and Latency on the sticks themselves? set the voltage and latency to the highest stick. so if one is 1.5v and 10-10-10-30 and another is 1.4v 8-8-8-24. Set the memory in the bios to 1.5v and 10-10-10-30 if it hasnt done already.

RAM can be odd especially when the sticks are not identicle.

Chriszz11

I know they are all the same voltage, but ill have to look in a bit at what the latency is of each stick. I'll let you all know in a while.

Chriszz11

Hey everybody, thanks for all the help. It turns out that one stick i had installed was not XMP compatible and wouldn't let me enable XMP with it installed, i removed the stick and its recognizing 16Gbs at 1600. My last question is, for game development and rendering, would i be ok using 1600 cas9 ram? Would i notice a difference in render times switching to 1866 cas8?

beers

Staff member
You'd probably see a really slight decrease, but it wouldn't be worth investing in a whole extra RAM kit.