Open Hardware Monitor Mistake?

Nick.D

I always have Open Hardware Monitor open so I can watch the temperature of my CPU since it's really old and overheats easily. Recently I noticed that every time I put my computer to sleep for awhile, when I get back on the program tells me that the system temperature got up to 96° C.

Is it same to assume that it isn't actually getting that hot, and it's just the program? I can't see any reason that it would get that hot while sleeping... or even doing anything awake. The temperature usually hovers between 20-25° C.

Another thing to mention is that when it wakes up it's immediately back it its original 20ish degrees. If it was actually that hot, I imagine that it would take a good bit of time to cool down.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would imagine its an issue with sleep mode. If temp is usually between 20-25 then you are fine. Frankly, I wouldn't even run the program if thats the temp.

Nick.D

I would imagine its an issue with sleep mode. If temp is usually between 20-25 then you are fine. Frankly, I wouldn't even run the program if thats the temp.

I was figuring that it wasn't actually getting that hot. I don't run the program to monitor the system temp though, I use it to watch the CPU. It gets pretty hot at times.

Darren

Staff member
HWMonitor has some finnicky sensor readings. I switched over to HWInfo in the past year and it seems more reliable with a lot more customization. Might have the same issue, but just a suggestion.

I wouldn't worry, sleep mode can do weird things like that.