Open Hardware Monitor / SpeedFan

Nick.D

Been awhile since I've posted anything here... And my computer really hasn't changed one bit.
I did upgrade the CPU finally, though just barely.
Went from a Xeon w3550 to a x5650. :V

Anyways, that's not what this thread is about. I've been using two of the same programs for years, now.
Open Hardware Monitor, and SpeedFan.
Ever since I got them, I've had questions about a few things, but am just now getting to asking.

SpeedFan
I use this one to manually control the speed of my CPU fan when I'm playing games.
I've got a few questions about this one.

First is this:
To control the fan speed, I have to go to Configure>Advanced>Winbond W83627DHG-P at $290 on ISA, then change PWM 2 Mode to 'Manual'.
There's 4 'PWM Modes' though the only one that I have to change is the second one.
But, there's other things to change it to aside from manual.
There's also Thermal Cruise, which seems to be the default one.
The one I don't understand is Smart Fan 3+. That option pops up 5 times, and all it does is keep the fan at a constant 0%... :/

Next question is why does PWM 2 Mode like to change back to thermal cruise from manual?
It'll do that a lot, for some reason.
Almost every time it does, it just changes the fan speed to 35%, which has caused some overheating issues while playing games, in the past.

Open Hardware Monitor
Only question I've got for this one is this:
It shows a temperature for 'system'... what is that? I'm assuming it's the ambient temperature in the case?
Any time it gets above 25C, it overrides my controls in SpeedFan, and kicks the CPU fan up to 75%...

Hasn't done so recently, but there have been times where it freaked out, and showed the system temp as 99C, and put all my fans at max.
When it does that, I just have to restart and it shows it as normal.