"Open With" Problem-- Help!

C4Radon

Hey guys, My friend's computer recently started encountering a problem where if they try to open any program or even a new tab a "open with" popup box appears. I'm not sure if it's a virus or a registry error, I'm assuming it's one of the two.

Thanks for any help

C4Radon

Thanks, well first I'll try a full virus then malware scan, if that fixes it then... Well thanks if not I'll go to your second option. Do you think a registry error could cause it?

Lax

VIP Member
Yes, that is the direct cause, the links posted are .reg fixes and WILL fix the issue if it is a file type association problem (I have used both multiple times). A scan won't fix the issue, the registry has been modified, it will simply remove the virus if there is one (it is possible to mess up the association on your own however).

C4Radon

The thing is, with almost every file I open (I say almost as I havent opened every file type but every one I've tried) asked me the "open with"... What should I do? I don't want to download every registry file. I mean, should I just try an open a certain file if it gives the error download the .reg and just kind of go through for each file type or what?

Lax

VIP Member
Just the EXE one for now and see what happens, if it really IS every file type there is serious registry corruption possibly.

C4Radon

And one quick question as it isnt my computer and don't want to mess anything up. If I do replace it nothing major can really happen correct? Assuming it's for the correct OS? Just making sure...

Or at least, nothing *should* happen

EDIT:: one more thing, is there a generic registry file or are there specific ones for 32/64 bit?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, there is not one specific to 32 or 64 bit but what OS you are using xp, vista/7.

So are you saying that pictures won't open, music files won't open, txt files won't open? If so, then you have major registry corruption. If you are indeed infected, its usually only the exe extension that gets changed. However, boot to safe mode and see if you can open files/programs. If so then it seems you may be infected. I would suggest that you download and run malwarebytes.

C4Radon

Yeah, I ended up downloading malwarebytes anyways, ran a quick scan...

Results:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command\(default) (Hijack.ExeFile) -> Value: (default) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Rogue.MultipleAV) -> Value: (default) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\(default) (Hijacked.exeFile) -> Bad: (secfile) Good: (exefile) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Quarantined/removed them all, and the problem was fixed.

Thanks for your help anyways guys.

And just to clarify the problem for future reference. With almost all files when you tried to open them it would give you the "open with" popup. With some certain file types you could click cancel and the file/program would run or open normally but with others you simply couldn't access the file. It would also affect very specific things like programs connecting to servers to download updates etc. But anyways, problem solved, thanks.

Thanks, again!