opening comp store?

Rodwa4

not sure where to post this, but i'm hoping to open a computer retail store this summer. i was wondering if anyone else has tried this, and has any pointers. also, does anyone have an idea as to how to gain dealership status with, say, gateway? thanks

heinzbitte

I really don't have any advice or know anything. All I know is it would be hard. Becuase even though compusa has high prices you still probably couldn't compete with their prices. And then there are online stores to compete with. I am sure you can get information on gateway's website. Also maybe it would be easier to get customers if you also repaired computers.
Make sure you get all your legal things filled out correctly.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. What country are you in?

2. Register the business with the government whether it be regional or national (or even local)

3. Secure a location you want to have a store (if its a physical store)

4. Determine your income methodology (cash only, CC, debit etc), arrange for the appropriate equipment/paperwork etc

5. Contact distributors if you want to be really big, retailers if you wanna be a lot smaller

6. Establish a corporate account (or multiple)

7. .....

Styleprojekt

1st) As somebody mentioned, prices to compete against will be very tough.
2nd) Who would want to buy from YOUR site and WHY? You need publicity/promotion and therefore, for it to be worth it, a HUGE inventory to start with, meaning a very very large investment.
3rd) I personally started an extreme Sport Online Shop wich went very well. I however sold everything on ebay at first and advised people that i also have a shop. It never grew larger beacause nobody outside of ebay would visit my site.
4th) It died when it became to expensive since i wasnt able to buy very large amounts and i coudnt compete with other online shops selling on ebay/internet.
5th) Try simply contacting many Computer parts makes. Usually they have a special section in their phone service when you are interested in buying bigger lots to resell. Just call
6th) GOOD LUCK

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Here in Australia, the smaller computer shops dont appear to be buying direct from computer manufacturers, because they simply dont have the buying power, from what I have seen they buy from bigger wholesalers, and the wholesalers buy direct from the manufacturers.