opening ports for certain programs

memory

Whenever I am running Limewire, it will not stay connected for very long. I have to unplug the adapter and plug it back in to get working again. But won't last very long. How do I go about opening up ports?

I am connected to the internet through a router using a adapter. There are 2 computers that use adapters and 1 through the router. They are all Linksys equipment.

computerhakk

VIP Member
What is your router's brand and model? Usually, it's as easy as typing in 192.168.1.1 into your browser as it should be default for most. If not, it might be ".0.1" instead of 1.1.

memory

The model number is BEFW11S4. And I found the router setup page. Which tab do I open up the ports under?

memory

Most of that stuff was confusing to me. I am not very good with networks. Can someone please explain it any easier and take me through step by step?

tlarkin

VIP Member
i would be very weary of running limewire, and especially giving it carte blanche through open ports on your network. It is filled with spyware/malware/trojans/viruses.

However, once in your router, and if its a Linksys, you need to set up what is known as Application Restrictions or QoS (quality of services) and give whatever application you want whatever port you want it to have. Some routers have different control panels, here is a screen shot of mine, linksys WRT54GL

untitled.jpg

Last edited:

memory

I have the pro version of Limewire so it shouldn't have any viruses or anything.

The link that jimmymac gave me, the pics of the setup page are different than what I have. Here is a pic of the page I have:
Forwarding.htm

Can anybody see the link to the pic?

tlarkin

VIP Member
I can't see the link, how are you posting it?

Are you posting the IP address of your router? In my email I got from CF, it looks like you just copy/pasted the link in your browser, that won't work.

tlarkin

VIP Member
6346 is the default port I got from googling it that limewire uses, however you have it set up right. Just make sure in the software you specify the port you forwarded for it

memory

On the link that jimmymac gave me, it said to enter Limew1 for the application. Why wouldn't I enter the full name of the program? If it wasn't for you guys helping me out, where it says start to end, I would have put a time in there. Thanks for all the help.

Also what is the Port Triggering subtab used for? Do I need to worry about that page?

Last edited:

memory

I don't need to worry about port triggering right?

I think I got it figured out. I have been running Limewire and it hasn't disconnected yet. Why would it disconnect in the first place?