Opening Ports to increase bandwidth

massahwahl

VIP Member
I recently switched my dsl service from the 'Lite' version to the 4Mbps version which should be blazingly faster than what I had before but I have only noticed small increases in my download times, while downloading Counter Strike from STEAM it took almost 2 days and the download time would fluctuate. One second it would be going at maybe 54Kbps then it would burst up to over 400 Kbps but only for a few minutes, then fall back down to below 20.

I contacted the dsl company (Windstream) and they walked me through a few generic test then said I would need to pay a tech $65 to come and look at my machine (ugh..hell no) Ive done several speedtests on it and again, get various results usually not very good though.

So after trying several things Im thinking that perhaps there are ports I need to open on my router? Would this help and can someone instruct which ports need opened? Also, do I open them on both my wireless router and modem?

massahwahl

VIP Member
I have Vista Ultimate and I am using the firewall provided with Vista. What do I need to look for or change?

Punk

Staff member
I don't how it works on Vista but maybe your firewall is blocking some access to your ports. Disable it for 5 min, download and see if there is a difference.

Trizoy

VIP Member
You need to remember that the download speed they give you is a burst speed, and in no way means you will EVER get speeds that fast.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Yeah but before I upgraded I was getting around 20 Kbps now Im only getting around 50Kbps... I bump the internet up 3 tiers and only get an additional 30 Kbps? That does not seem right at all.

Is it possible to get software or anything that would handle configuring it for better speeds? Or what do I need to do. Is it a port issue at all?

Punk

Staff member
I don't know if it's a port issue or if your internet is normal...

here is my SpeedTest:

I have a 1MB connection

lol, yeah then there is a problem because on a GOOD speedtest I clock at about a 600. I broke 1000 one time...

If you have 4Mbps and getting that, that's horrible... Do you have a contract service agreement with them? If I were you, I would cancel and get Verizon or some form of cable.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Yes its a service agreement and yeah it sucks the big one. I dont want to believe that the service is at fault yet until I know I have all my settings correct. Their customer service is about useless because I cant talk to a freaking American, instead, I get Habib Whoever from India answerin my calls.

Is there a way to edit anything in Vista Ultimate to increase my bandwidth?

I really wouldn't know... I am more of a plug 'n' play guy:cool:, I haven't ever heard of this type of problem... Sorry:eek:

You could do one thing and that is check your router/modem... 192.168.1.1 in the address bar in FF or IE. Try to find the speed that the modem or router gives you and then we will know if it's service or your PC.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Alright here are some speedtest results showing how drastic the differences are:

Something else I wanted to note, If I leave my computer on over night, when I try to get online the next morning without fail it will disconnect me sometime during the night, so I will have to restart my computer before the internet works again. Any ideas on that too?

Niranjan81

Their customer service is about useless because I cant talk to a freaking American, instead, I get Habib Whoever from India answerin my calls.

Try not to put the blame on the Indian sitting in India doing his job .. it was a "freaking american" company which sold u the product and not the Habib sitting in India ... grow up and learn to see where the real issue is rather than trying to look for a scapegoat.

paratwa

Try not to put the blame on the Indian sitting in India doing his job .. it was a "freaking american" company which sold u the product and not the Habib sitting in India ... grow up and learn to see where the real issue is rather than trying to look for a scapegoat.

Now that's funny! :)

Got to www.dslreports.com and click on the tools tab up top. Then try the tweak test. After you run it, it will give you tips on what can be changed to increase your speed.

massahwahl

VIP Member

right well America should stop outsourcing and handle their own companies locally. Gee sorry for thinking I should be able to understand the customer service person trying to help me. :rolleyes: I need to grow up?

Anyway,

I wanted to do the tweak test but it says they dont recommend Vista users do it. Is i tstill ok to use it?

paratwa

I did not know it won't work with Vista. Just one more reason I am going to stay away from Vista. Nothing seems to work with it!

massahwahl

VIP Member
Yeah if you go look at the page with the test it has a little disclaimer that they dont recommend using it on Vista machines. I doubt it would really hurt, but I dont want to risk it.