OpenOffice.org

pcweird

Buying a pc tomorrow to replace this tired old piece of junk (please dont crash)
I'm not buying anything special, as I only need the PC for browsing etc.
It comes with Vista home basic and what I need to know is will OpenOffice run in Vista?
If not I will buy works or something similar but as I will hardly ever use a word processor I was hoping to be able to run a cheap (free) program.
Thanks

brian

VIP Member
yep, it works. also yes just to calm you down vista is much better then it is portrayed

Last edited:

HI Brian,
"Betrayed"??? Perhaps "Portrayed"??? Is this a Vista Freudian slip?? :)

Since I really like Vista I hope it is just a typo.

Sparky

Kesava

yeah i use it too. occasionally haha. works fine. i dont have much use for office suites.

pcweird

Me again

Origonaly asked a 2nd question re downloading Openoffice in vista but sorted now

thanks for all replies.

Nice having a new PC after the old piece of junk I was running before

Last edited:

pcweird

get some anti virus too.

I got discount on Norton when I brought comp.

Finding some differences from xp confusing like when downloading programs, xp used to just install direct to the desk top but this stores them in recent items until I transfere them to my Desktop etc
Can the settings be ajusted or am I doing something wrong AGAIN?

Still very new to this computer game

concorde

OpenOffice is great and as many people think that OOo is not compatible with MS Office, it is. I personally wouldn't spend the money for an office suite when you will get a similar one for free. Be aware, though: one caveat with OO is that it loads slowly, but the workaround is easy: Just go to Tools, Options and then disable Java Runtime Environment (unless you need it--most people don't in most office suite uses.) It will start much faster! I LOVE OpenOffice and I LOVE Linux. Great job Sun Microsystems:)(the creator of OOo)

diroga

OpenOffice is great and as many people think that OOo is not compatible with MS Office, it is. I personally wouldn't spend the money for an office suite when you will get a similar one for free. Be aware, though: one caveat with OO is that it loads slowly, but the workaround is easy: Just go to Tools, Options and then disable Java Runtime Environment (unless you need it--most people don't in most office suite uses.) It will start much faster! I LOVE OpenOffice and I LOVE Linux. Great job Sun Microsystems:)(the creator of OOo)

How does it run if it does not use the JRE :confused:

Sun did not make OpenOffice. They bought it from StarOffice.

Jhow

works fine in vista and i personally like it more than office 2007, granted I'm too lazy to get used to the new interface.