OpenVPN is not 100% protection, a few seconds after PC awake, IP leaked

postcd

Hello,

im using OpenVPN on Windows 10 and so the installed software like web browser is connecting to the internet via VPN server.

BUT thanks to Firefox extension called "Realtime IP Check" i see that roughly maybe 5 seconds or so from the time i wake up PC from sleep mode, i am known under my real IP. I see it in the web browser when i visit IP checker page like whatismyip.org and also mentioned firefox extension shows it and also logs of my web app shows it.

I think it happens because OpenVPN GUI app is re-establishing connection to the VPN server. (maybe)

Please how to prevent this IP leak issue and at same time be able to quickly switch on/off the direct connections outside VPN in Windows 10, because sometimes i need direct connection to visit some websites...

beers

Staff member
If you have any control over the routing table of your router, remove the /0 default route and simply only route to your VPN endpoint as a /32 at your ISP gateway. Then you won't have any external connectivity until you default route through the VPN tunnel.

If you want direct connectivity then you'll just have to close your relevant sessions before putting the PC to sleep.