Operating System Space

Darren

Staff member
Depends how you do it.

11 is not out yet so... guessing you acquired an ISO somewhere.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You boot to the installation media and then start the install. When it asks you where to install it, you need to delete existing partitions, then repartition and then install the new OS. Back up any data you need before doing this because everything will be gone once you delete the old partitions.

Darren

Staff member
I'll just say I would not be wiping out my whole Windows 10 installation with an unreleased and questionably acquired ISO. If you're just trying to explore it, a VM would probably make more sense, or a separate partition for W11.

beers

Staff member
If you're asking these questions then I totally wouldn't expect success if you go it alone in its current state.

The OS isn't even out yet, I'd +1 @Darren and just stick it in a VM to check it out. Preview/beta OS generally are missing important features and aren't mature from a driver/integration perspective. So you'll likely have issues that you would struggle to resolve trying to use the preview as a daily driver.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, Microsoft is forcing machines to have a TPM module installed in order to upgrade to windows 11. So if you don't have one, you won't be able to. Read the thread I just created. Most machines don't even come with one.

Well I am not trying to install Windows 11 now. Look I have got 119GB of free storage space on my laptop with 32.7GB used up for “System & Reserved” I assume that is the operating system stuff; also got 6.95GB for apps and other. So, if you do the math, I have got 77.4GB free of space. Windows 11 uses 64GB minimum of space (not including updates); that means I have only got 13.4GB of wiggle room (not a lot I know). What am I asking is when Windows 11 goes live can I delete Windows 10 before or after I install the new operating system?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You do realize its gonna be a free upgrade to windows 10 users so technically you won't have to do anything. One day it will just update to 11 on its own. But again, If you don't have a TPM module in your machine the update won't take place. So if you don't have one in your laptop, forget about upgrading to windows 11.

as john said when you aquire windows 11 boot using the installation media it will give you the option to delete existing partitions do this and then continue with windows 11 install
i believe it will be released round about november time

You do realize its gonna be a free upgrade to windows 10 users so technically you won't have to do anything. One day it will just update to 11 on its own. But again, If you don't have a TPM module in your machine the update won't take place. So if you don't have one in your laptop, forget about upgrading to windows 11.
I have a Microsoft Surface Laptop Go version with 128GB of storage.

as john said when you aquire windows 11 boot using the installation media it will give you the option to delete existing partitions do this and then continue with windows 11 install
i believe it will be released round about november time
So, the old Windows will be replaced by the new one you are saying?

Last edited:
I do not just mean yes in terms of having the new Windows running in place of the old one for the laptop. I mean having the new Windows operating system take over the same storage space that was previously being used by the old Windows.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The only way to truly get rid of the windows 10 is do a fresh install by deleting existing partitions and install that way. If the upgrade is gonna be anything like the upgrade to windows 10 was for 7 and 8 users, then there will be files saved so that you can go back to windows 10 if need be due to hardware issues or other things.

My advice to you would be to sell that and get something else with more storage space. 128gb is too small for windows, programs, and personal files.

Well as I said in an earlier post, I have got a surplus of 13.4GB of space which would include Windows 10 the upcoming Windows 11 and some apps put together. I just want to know that once I have Windows 11 installed, I can completely erase all of Windows 10 to free up that space. I do not run any apps but only use my laptop for browsing the net, YouTube, Zoom meetings and maybe store some music on top of that. So, the only reason I should of gotten the 256GB version is for peace of mind. But I would likely never need that much space.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 11 will take the place of 10. I'm not sure what more I can tell you. Like I said, you have 2 options. Upgrade to 11 when its available and see how much space is left afterwards. Or you can download the iso for 11 and install it fresh using the activation key you currently have for windows 10. Installing fresh means everything on that drive will be deleted.

But then again, you never did tell me if you have a tpm module installed on this machine. You need that before windows 11 will even install.