Operating system wasn't found try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system?

Spiros94

So I've recently formatted my SSD (had the OS) and my HDD on my desktop. Reinstalled Windows to get over a couple of errors and all seemed to be running smoothly. One of those errors was that sometimes when booting my pc, I was met by that black screen with the white text, that read something about Windows not having been found and that may have been due to a hardware change. There hadn't been one, hardware or software, so I just ignored the error and restarted my pc using the power button. So sometimes it booted normally, sometimes it didn't and I just had to restart to get it to work. After the format I didn't come across that error again (it's been about 5-10 days I think since I formatted) and just now when booting my pc I came across a similar error: "an operating system wasn't found try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system". (Note: I previously had Windows 7 and now have Windows 10. The difference in the errors might be because of the different OS).
I have an SSD on which I've installed Windows 10 and an HDD which contains general files and the program files of video games. When installing Windows I had disconnected the HDD as to avoid having some boot files installed there. So the boot files should all be on my SSD. The latter is also first in the BIOS's boot order. I just restarted and it booted up fine but I really wanna know what the cause of this is. Can anyone help out?

CPU: i5-2500
RAM: 8GB
GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 380 4GB
Mobo: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H61-M LE R2.0

Agent Smith

Either the HDD is on the way out or it's the SATA cable. Have you tried a different SATA port by chance?

Spiros94

Yeah actually I think the HDD is breaking down but the OS is on the SSD, why would the breaking down of the HDD affect the boot sequence? Nah I haven't messed with anything regarding the drives, ever since I actually installed them a few years back. I checked the BIOS settings for the boot order and found that for some reason the HDD had priority over the SSD. I don't know why, I'm pretty sure that I had changed that as soon as I installed this copy of Windows. Anyway I changed it and the one time that I restarted since it booted up nicely. I'll see if it happens again, if it does do you think that replacing the HDD could fix the issue? Taking into account that the OS is installed on the SSD?