operating system

KillerBBBS

I'm looking to buy my kids a used laptop computer so they can play their games on it. I found a few nice computers in my price range, but they come without a operating system. Would it be possible to install my windows XP disk that came with my desk top computer in the laptop?

BluePlum

banned
First of all, can i no the specs of the laptop, so i can see if it can play games, secondly welcome to CF, Thirdly I think you should have no problem unless theres some type of copy right protection stopping you from installing on 2 pc's.

ancinter

No, you cannot legally installed that OS on more than one computer.

The only way I would see it is if you would destroy the original PC. Legally you own the license.

Had a client that ran over his PC :eek: (don't ask, long story, funny but long :D). We built him a new PC, believe it or not we salvaged just about everything except the DVD and the case. So when we reloaded the hard drive with XP (he bought a bigger one, but not because he needed one) we used his license from the "old" PC.

You are right, it would be illegal to have the same license on more than one PC, but as long as you destroy the first one, you should be OK.

-Carlos:

KillerBBBS

Thanks for the info guys, but I found a used one with the Windows 2000 already in. The used Laptop I bought is a Compaq Armada E500 with
900 MHz Intel Pentium 3 CPU
14" LCD flat panel
Windows 2000 Professional SP4
256 MB memory
40 GB 5400 RPM hard drive
DVD-ROM drive
Not too bad for $150. It's in pretty good shape, no dead pixel and scratches.
Hopefully I will be able to play some decent games on it.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
First of all, welcome to the forum! :)

Second, if you want a gaming computer for the children, I wouldn't say a laptop is the best choice. Maybe you could build it yourself? You can get a pretty decent machine that would game better than a laptop for cheaper.

KillerBBBS

I also a have a Dell Desk top computer, but wanted something that I could use when I work nights. I have a computer at work but the company has all kinds for blocks on it were you can't download anything on it. So I was wanting something I could bring and play some of my game also.

KillerBBBS

Cool, most of the games I have are like 3-5 years old. I will just make sure that when I buy new games, to check the system requirement.

KillerBBBS

Yes it does have a cd/dvd player. The ad says it has a DVD-ROM drive - plays DVDs and CDs> Does that make a difference?

Last edited:

MightyKing

Yeah, laptops that are suitable for gaming come at a high price and overall end up not being decent. A custom made pc would be much better and definitely end up at a lower price.

BUT, then again, you're saying the games are for 3-5 year olds, so nothing to worry about a $150 dollar laptop. Perfect choice.

Last edited:

KillerBBBS

Yeah games like Carmageddon,Hot Rod: American Street Drag and Midtown Madness. My laptop computer has a dvd rom drive does that effect the games I can play?

Emperor_nero

Yeah games like Carmageddon,Hot Rod: American Street Drag and Midtown Madness. My laptop computer has a dvd rom drive does that effect the games I can play?

No not really. Now days they are starting to put the latest games on DVD but back then I don't think any games were on DVD just CD. But you can watch movies on it. :)