Operating Systems

bill6047

Need some expert advise from you,a question has come up in my class and I need a answer please. The question is---The operating system does not normally interact with hardware devices directly, but instead uses a device driver to access hardware directly--discuss some of the reasons you think this may be the case.

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the computer won't recognize the device without a driver and the driver basically tells the computer how the device works and how to communicate with it. Thats the best explanation I can come up with.

G25r8cer

Well, the computer won't recognize the device without a driver and the driver basically tells the computer how the device works and how to communicate with it. Thats the best explanation I can come up with.

Good Explanation

I couldnt have said it any better

Damorian

Need some expert advise from you,a question has come up in my class and I need a answer please. The question is---The operating system does not normally interact with hardware devices directly, but instead uses a device driver to access hardware directly--discuss some of the reasons you think this may be the case.

Thanks

He already stated how it works, the question is why. If the operating system connected directly with hardware, what happens when new hardware comes out? The operating system wouldn't have support for it. Also, it's probably pretty awesome that OS programmers don't have to write the code to interface with countless pieces of hardware, instead they leave it up to the manufacturer.