Operating Systems.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well as unpopular as windows can be, I will admit to being a Windows user.
Hate windows xp though, also hated windows 98.
Windows 2000 is ok.
What other options are there out there that people are using?

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
i hate to admit it, but as of right now, i am dependent on windows. i run xp pro on my system.

however, linux is a very popular alternative, and i will be setting up another linux box once i get another hard drive to put into my old system. it currently doesn't have one.

[tab]

[...]
At home I use Debian Linux most of the time. I have another computer running MS Windows XP Pro... don't use it that much at the moment though.

At work I'm using MS Windows NT Workstation 4... hehe.

Christopher

VIP Member
I'm dependant on Windows XP Pro at the mo. Linux is a great alternative, but I just need some programs and WINE just doesn't cut it.

cptnwinky

VIP Member
I still haven't learned it cuz I spent all my time on the less powerful Paint Shop Pro.

If I could find an alternative to Dreamweaver thats even close to par then I would switch all together.

charly

alternative OS

I run on 2000 professional and it's stabil running since i installed it. as an alternative operation system i run on LINUX SUSE 8.2 and waiting for the upgrade 9.0

only xp and linux 8.2 or higher supports new cpu structure, so if your processor has more than 3.0 ghz you should choose one of them for best performance.

still, i'll never gonna upgrade to xp on my machine and i don't service any of xp on pc's i buildet up even tho i have xp also ready for use

if you need ms-office like i do in case of excel and access then you should have a look for "Cross Over" for Linux. that programm supports all needet DLL's for the whole office package + some ms products more without emulating windows. this will not cost you the speed like win mine does under linux.

enjoy
ciao, charly

Last edited:

Christopher

VIP Member
The CrossOver Office was a saver for me :D I did get lots of Windows programs to work, but it still lagged and some features were missing.

[tab]

[...]
Chroder said:
An alternative to Photoshop? :eek: I've spend years learning that program :p
I generally use The Gimp. I had to use Photoshop about a week ago and forgot where everything was... hehe.

charly

as far as i know cross over supports photoshop too, but i rather use fireworks and the macromedia stuff ...

Christopher

VIP Member
charly said:
as far as i know cross over supports photoshop too
Yeah it does, but it doesn't support the "Save for Web" properly. That took some tweaking to get it to work. But the speed issue is what got me mad -- I'd need a megacomputer for the program to operate like it does under Windows.

charly

hi 2 CoFo 2

in case of seeking speed, get newest (4 in 1) driver. get more ram ... but you should not overclock, better a stabil long range than a short sprint. better a well cooled cpu than a hot slowing down one (that's just a hint)

ciao, charly

yeah 1 :cool: 2