Opinion on new cpu

101Linda

Hey guys/girls,

My computer is a little outdated and presumably not capable of playing the game mass effect: Andromeda, which I'd like to play.
Therefor I'm planning to buy a new cpu and a new graphic card (if needed) later this year. I'm planning to buy a new cpu first, because its a lot older then my GPU.

At the moment my pc has the following:
- MSI k9a2 cf motherboard (AM 2+ socket)
- AMD Phenom 8450 triple-core
- TX 650 TI boost
- HKC USP-5550 550W power supply
- 8 GB DDR2-800

I'm on a budget, so I'd like to stay below 200 euro ( new memory excluded).
I'm planning on buying:
AMD fx-8350
Asrock 990FX Killer
min. 8 GB DDR3

This seems like a good buy with my budget, but I'm new to this, so before wasting my money, I'd like your opinion on my choice. Like, is it a good choice or do you know anything better. Is it compatible? Or do I need to buy a complete new pc? Any tips and/or advise is welcome.

Thanks for the trouble,
Linda

beers

Staff member
I wouldn't really buy AM3 at this point. Ryzen 5 even would be a significant upgrade.

Where are you looking at buying from? 200 seems a bit low (just looking through komplett.nl)

beers

Staff member
If they're on a budget that low, then it's not a bad choice.
I'd at least go budget grade on a modern platform like AM4. Then you have DDR4 which will be good for years, an upgrade path through Zen+ and possibly beyond. Buying AM3+ is a dead upgrade path. While it's cheap now it becomes ultimately more expensive buying another board and RAM. FX8350 is already 5 years old..

If you update the BIOS of the board you have now, you could throw in a cheap Phenom II X4 with a 95w TDP or lower and get some more life out of the system.

Do you know the serial # of the board? That will tell you the supported TDP:
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/K9A2_CF.html#hero-overview

Last edited:
I also agree that getting an AM3 platform based rig is not a good idea. Your hardware will become obsolete even faster.

101Linda

First, thank you all for the replies. This is all very helpfull.

I do agree with an AM4 being more futureproof. The thing is that at the moment I'm just looking for a pc that will be good for the next 3-5 years. Preferably as cheap as possible, but its ok if it will be slightly more then 200. Ideally, I wouldn't have to change my board, but if there is no other way, then an AM4 might indeed be a better choice.

I was looking for parts on PCPartPicker.com.

My board has 125W CPU support. There's a big sticker on the box saying so and the serie number begins with 601-7388-030.

The B250M Bazooka seems to be a micro ATX and I don't know if that'll fit in my case. I have an ATX now.

Laquer Head

I understand about budget, but again buying a 2-5 year old, outdated product in the in hopes of making it last 3-5 years really is poor distribution of your money.

If you can't afford an AM4 setup now, then save a bit - do not make an impulse buy, just because thats all you can afford now..- you WILL regret it.

An Matx board will fit in your case just fine.. only thing you dont want is an E-ATX and you would'nt be looking at those anyhow.. I'd recommend going with an ATX board, for future expanding.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The B250M Bazooka seems to be a micro ATX and I don't know if that'll fit in my case. I have an ATX now.
micro ATX as the name suggests, is a shorter version of the standard ATX board, usually around 3-4 slots shorter. It will fit your case if you buy a mATX board.

101Linda

I understand about budget, but again buying a 2-5 year old, outdated product in the in hopes of making it last 3-5 years really is poor distribution of your money.

If you can't afford an AM4 setup now, then save a bit - do not make an impulse buy, just because thats all you can afford now..- you WILL regret it.

An Matx board will fit in your case just fine.. only thing you dont want is an E-ATX and you would'nt be looking at those anyhow.. I'd recommend going with an ATX board, for future expanding.

Alright, thank you. I will wait and save some money first.