Opinions on a Chromebook

I do the most basic when it comes to computers. Would like to get a new laptop and was wondering if a Chromebook would be a wise choice. Current laptop has Windows 10 and have never been impressed with it's wifi speed. My laptop is a HP 2000 Notebook. Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
HP 2000 Notebook
Depending on model, that a very low end machine. Your system specs determine how well your hardware works such as wifi. What is the exact model of laptop you have. Should look something like this.

2000-2b09WM There will be more numbers after the 2000, that was just an example.

beers

Staff member
If you can do everything you want to do on a computer through chrome or a chrome extension, then it's a decent pick. Otherwise you'll probably be disappointed.

I have one of the early Samsung 3 exynos ones that still holds up pretty well after a few years

All it says is HP 2000 Notebook. Did find these numbers. CPU-AMD E-300 RAM-4GB-DDR3 Mother Board-HP-188B(Socket FT1) Storage-298GB Western Digital.

Only use it for mail & Facebook and watch a few network shows. Never use the CD-ROM. This is why with the limited use I thought a Chromebook would be a good fit and with the type of OS it has it might be faster.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that's a crappy machine, very low end processor. That's why the wifi is slow. Might help to do some general cleanup like run CCleaner and check for malware. Any junk on there will just slow it down even more.

beers

Staff member
What speed metrics are you getting from it now?

Wifi performance depends on a lot of things, if you have a crap router or have neighboring radio congestion then it will still suck.

Here is some info. Speed test done just now. Router is a Netgear N600-WNDR3400v3. It's located next to the PC located in the basement of ranch home. Laptop located in dining room upstairs. PC(basement) speed: Ping-30ms-Download-88.25 Upload-5.95 Laptop speed: Ping- 64ms-Download-32.52 Upload-6.07. Also have a Roku 1 in upstairs bedroom and signal quality is "Good". Thanks for the help! Really do appreciate it.