Opinions on my part list?

Intel_man

VIP Member
2. I prefer 4x4 so I can run dual-channel. Plus the cost difference is pretty much negligible.
That's not how dual channel works. You're already running in dual channel with 2 sticks of Ram. You would already be occupying channel A and B in both of the DIMM 0 slots. Grabbing 2x8gb will further allow expansion when higher demand of ram occurs in the future. You gain nothing from filling up all slots.
art4-3.jpg

Figured I would jump in after lurking a while. I have the define c and it is surprisingly compact while still allowing atx boards. If you can swing it you will not regret it one bit. I have been underwhelmed by itx and matx boards so far. Having a small case that still has full support is the best of both worlds for me.

Have to agree with others recommending 2 sticks of ram. You could likely save some money and afford the 6gb version of the 1060. You may not be playing much fallout now but games come out all the time. Don't skimp on vram and regret it. I have done it before and it sucks.

beers

Staff member
As I said before my little Radeon 6950 2GB is already more than enough
Why don't you throw the 6950 in your new build and save some $ if it already suits your needs?
2. I prefer 4x4 so I can run dual-channel. Plus the cost difference is pretty much negligible.
As per others you can run dual channel with 2 or 4 sticks. Populating all of your slots prevents you from upgrading as easily in the future. Definitely 2x8GB. I still get 'dual channel' with 2x16 GB sticks. If you had a platform that supported quad channel you would 'need' 4 sticks to use all channels, however that is not the case on 1151 and non-Threadripper Ryzen.
I have the define c and it is surprisingly compact while still allowing atx boards.
Yeah it's pretty decent. Lots of cable routing type of features and filters.

The VCR King

Tweaked list accordingly, go and look.

And I probably will stay with the current case I picked, the CM N200 because I like it's simplicity.

The VCR King

Do you have any potential to migrate the copy of Windows you have on the Beast to this one? Are you specifically targeting around $1k? 1600X is only $5 more.
I still have the Windows 7 install disc and install key, I can probably re-use the install disc on the new rig and just restore the Beast's backup onto the new PC. Personally I want to use the 1600 so I don't have to also eat the costs of a cooler.

And my target is below $1000 but if that's impossible I will go as high as $1,100.

I'll tinker up another few possible part lists for you to look at.

beers

Staff member
I don't think the WD Black is worth ~$24 more than the Blue. 2 TB drives are also a similar price.

The VCR King

I don't think the WD Black is worth ~$24 more than the Blue. 2 TB drives are also a similar price.
Tbh the only reason I want the Black drive is because all my past PCs and my current Beast have had WD Black drives and I love them, they've never let me down.

However I have had the WD Blue in my hotswap die and one in my laptop a few years ago. It's more of a preference type thing I guess

Intel_man

VIP Member
The random read/write in the WD Black is around double that of the blues in typical usage.

That silver memorex dvd player looks so ugly.

The VCR King

Looks great buddy! Could save some buck on a Caviar Blue HDD, but all is good. :)
I know but as I've said before I prefer the Black because I've always used them and know they're good & reliable plus they have a better warranty.

When I build this PC I'm going to re-purpose the beast as either a VPN server or a bitcoin miner.

_Kyle_

I know but as I've said before I prefer the Black because I've always used them and know they're good & reliable plus they have a better warranty.

When I build this PC I'm going to re-purpose the beast as either a VPN server or a bitcoin miner.
Ok, WD Black stays. I don't think the beast will work well as a bitcoin miner.