Opinions on this laptop

speedyink

VIP Member
I'm looking at buying a new laptop, and this is what I've come up with at dell.ca.

Capture.jpg

The video card is what I'm most worried about, is it any good? Is the Geforce Go 7300 GS any better?

vaio7777

well the graphics card is good, well ok. but what i would worry about is the prossesor, it only clocks at 1.6 ghz. I would recomend at least 1.86 and 2.0 and above is even better. spend the money on that and not upgradable things like a hard drive or RAM.

speedyink

VIP Member
CPTMuller: Thanks for the Newegg links, but unfortunately I am in Canada and they wont ship there. Plus they are a bit pricey for me, being that they are in USD.

As for the processor, I am under the impression that the T5200 is better than the T2350, even though it clocked slightly lower? (1.6ghz vs. 1.86ghz?)

I looked up the x1400 and 7300 (there was no GS) on GPU review, and the ATI easily beat it out. I also compared it to some other cards. I found it is it better than my old desktop X300 (which makes me happy, cause that card can run Oblivion), and is slightly worse than a desktop X1300.

Here is another build with the slightly lesser processor. I think my might go with this one instead.

Capture2.jpg

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Thats looks like a terrific laptop for the price, I paid around $1300 in March of '06 for mine (except it only had 1GB of RAM).

It should play games fairly well, as I told you in PM. And the x1400 is better then the 7300.

HumanMage

Terrific price for that laptop. But like I always say, its what you want to do with it that is key. If you want to play games on that laptop, then you might run into trouble depending on the games you play but other than that its a great laptop for the price. However, I wouldnt keep skimping on the processor :) The x1400 isn't a bad vid card.

speedyink

VIP Member
Not on the last picture.

Holy crap, thanks for telling me. I didn't notice that it is just a Core DUO. Alright, I'll be going with the top picture then, except with the screen in the second picture.

This isn't going to be my primary gaming machine, I got my desktop for that. I just want to be able to play games at reasonable FPS, doesn't have to be maxed or anything.

CPTMuller

Anytime! I totally know what you mean about your laptop being a secondary gaming machine, to my knowledge this is prettymuch perfect.

speedyink

VIP Member
Anytime! I totally know what you mean about your laptop being a secondary gaming machine, to my knowledge this is prettymuch perfect.

Perfect, thats good to hear.

Alright, heres the final build. Thanks for the help everyone!

Capture3.jpg

Now I just gotta hope my credit is good enough to be qualified for the monthly payments:p

CPTMuller

Good luck! I'm sure you'll love it! I have had a great expierience with mine, portability just goes so far!

speedyink

VIP Member
Ok, there might be slight change of plans. For some reason Dell doesn't have the option for the x1400 anymore. When I try to bring up my saved laptop it says it's not available anymore:( . This may be due to the free "upgrade" to the 7300GS. So in case I can't get the x1400 within the next week or so, how much worse is the 7300?

(7300 GS Turbo cache vs 1400 Hyper memory if that matters)

CPTMuller

it is somewhat worse, for a budget you have to make some sacrafice but it should do to some extent... Wait to see if the x1400 comes back