Opinions on upgrades

intern

So basically last year I needed a computer for school/work and decided to buy a cheap mini tower (Gateway SX2110g).

As of around 3 months ago I started to get more into gaming and all, so obviously need to upgrade my computer.

First thing I did was bought a new graphics card, which seeing as how mini towers leave little room to upgrade, I had to cut open my desktop to fit it into the slot. I have no intentions of keeping this computer for a long amount of time, just turned more into a project.

Lately I've been looking to replace my CPU, right now it's AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD graphics dual core (1.4ghz). I just recently looked up the socket type and it was, BGA413. I haven't really been able to find any other cpu's with this socket type that are honestly worth buying and replacing my current one with as it would show little difference.

So I'm wondering if anyone does know of a cpu I can replace this with that would enhance the performance, or if I should just cut my losses and spend the money on a new computer. If the latter, any recommendations for a new computer (looking for cyber monday deals) good enough to run games like Aion? Note graphics card is not an issue as long as everything else runs great I can just reuse my new graphics card.

Thank you for reading this and any answers!

Edit: Price range wise I was looking to spend between $300-400 on a new computer.

iameatingjam

You'll have to buy a new power supply if you want to do upgrades on that computer. The problem is options are very limited since you have a slimline case.

I was in the exact same situation before and realized just buying a new computer was the best option. I'm sure you could sell the one you have now and get $150 - $200 closer. Good luck.

SpringWater

Technically all you need is a psu, mobo, cpu, and a gpu. Everything else you already have. This upgrade can be done for about 200-500 bucks depending on what performance you want.

PCunicorn

But because of that case he is very limited. Better to do a brand new build but salvage the HDD. OP, if you want a gaming PC for $400, you will need to build your own. It isnt difficult and only takes a few hours. I will put a build up in a little while.

SpringWater

I forgot about the case, still cases are cheap and generally speaking I had the same idea as PCunicorn did, keep whatever possible, buy what's needed. He can re-use the ram, windows, dvd drive, and not only the hdd.

Last edited: