Opinions please

bass76

VIP Member
Its time for a new PC. I built mine 5 years ago and I'm a bit out of touch with what's currently available. The PC is used for internet, mild photo editing, wife plays sims 3, I play FPS like Bioshock, Far Cry 2 etc. So no hardcore gaming, although I would like to be able to play these games on a decent graphics setting.
Here's what I've come up with:

i5 760
Gigabyte GA H55m UD2H
Sapphire HD 5670 1GB
WD Caviar Green 2TB 64MB
4GB Ram (what speed?)
Windows 7
I have all the peripherals

I can't really stretch the budget anymore unless one of these components is just really shit and I need to get something better.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
1600 mhz you will be spending around $50 usd
1800 mhz about $80 usd

However, not sure what that converts to in australia dollars.

You may also want to consider getting the 5770 instead.

bass76

VIP Member
1600 mhz you will be spending around $50 usd
1800 mhz about $80 usd

However, not sure what that converts to in australia dollars.

Is there a big difference between the 5670 and 5770? Worth $50 more?
I'm also considering the Asus P7P55D rather than the GA H55M UD2H.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dont know if your getting a good deal on the i5 760. But retail you can get a i5 2500 for the same price or a i5 2500k for like 20 bucks more, unless prices in Australia are different.

bass76

VIP Member
Dont know if your getting a good deal on the i5 760. But retail you can get a i5 2500 for the same price or a i5 2500k for like 20 bucks more, unless prices in Australia are different.

I've done a bit of reading on the 2500 and looks to be better value. Would I need a graphics card or would the integrated graphics do the job? Would an H61 chipset mobo be suitable and not too limiting? Or should I bite the bullet and go H67?

Iceyn1pples

I love to quote PCs for different needs so that i can help users use their money effectively.

If you post up what your preferred budget Prior to Tax, and what you ABSOLUTE MAX budget is as well, i can take some time and help you build a PC to suit your needs.

Also, can you provide Links to the sites that you prefer to shop at? Otherwise, i will quote based on newegg.com

Cheers

linkin

VIP Member
What's your budget for the whole thing, that works better than just listing parts you can afford.

bass76

VIP Member
What's your budget for the whole thing, that works better than just listing parts you can afford.

About $750 including Windows 7. Regarding Windows, would it be worthwhile getting 64 bit? I don't need a tower, mouse, keyboard, network card or sound card.

I really like the value for money of the i5 2500 so I'd like to build it around that.

Last edited:

tech savvy

Sapphire has there 5830 which is cheaper than 90% of the 5770's.

OP, look at the Sapphire 5830 and 5850 Xtreme models.

these aint the older graphics card models originally released a year ago. The Sapphire 5830 and 5850 Xtreme are actually two "new" graphics cards. More precisely, these are two previous-generation graphics cards that have been completely overhauled in design and are being released at extremely aggressive prices.

Last edited:

tech savvy

hes from Australia, so that build does nothing really.prices here in the U.S is cheaper than most of the world.that build you got there will most likely be over $800 in Australia.

bass76

VIP Member
Well here's what I got:
i5 2500
4gig kingston RAM
HD5770 1GB
Intel p67 mobo
1TB WD caviar black
win 7 64 bit

However, when I install the latest ATI driver it doesn't work, so I have to roll back to the drivers that came on the CD.

Perkomate

haha good choice on CPU and GFX card! where in Aus are you? If around Melbourne area, then use pccasegear.com.au pretty good prices, i've used them a few times