Opinions please

RLancon

I am going to go for my first build on my own.

I am retired now and have the time so I will try and do a computer build selection..

As I am a greenhorn to this any comments good or bad are certainly appreciated. My decisions are based in many hours of reading, comparisons, and looking at reviews by others.

MY USEAGE

I won't be doing any overclocking as I want dependability.

I felt an air cooler is darn near as good and less stuff to go awry.

My motherboard selection has fan controllers build in and has the capability to control additional fans with another add on card and the whole shebang can be controlled and set to quiet with the software. I would fill up the case with fans and feel that should keep things pretty cool and quiet. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
In addition to that this board has on board wifi and good audio.
So my selection for this board is based on not needing a separate fan controller, wifi card, and sound card. I went with 16 gb memory as I read more than that you wont see a benefit. I went with ASUS for name recognition, dependability, and an overall less than 1% return rate based on a huge sales volume.

Game play is mainly for when my kids come home to roost for a bit....other than that it will be a computer to augment my existing Dell XPS27 inch all in one with 8 gig nd 2 mb video card that I use daily.

Bang for the buck is what I am after. I would also consider dual cards it it makes that much of a difference. The power supply is big, I feel the headroom is a good thing.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.
I value them and will incorporate them in the next edit.

I only replace computers every 5 years or so, and my intent is to build a reliable future proof system that this time will be upgrade able.

Once again, thank you kindly for your input.

My monitor of choice will be the Dell UltraSharp U3415W - 34.08" Curved IPS LED Monitor as it is now $699.00

Regards,

Ray

Below is a link to my initial parts selection after doing much reading on the reviews....

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Yj3h3F

Billson

You said you are not overclocking. What's the point of getting a 1000W PSU? Also, you have 6TB of HDD space, why do you want a 960GB SSD? Buy a good 240GB Samsung SSD or an Intel one. Those are usually the best. Everything else looks standard. I would change that though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If budget is not an issue then go for it. However, I feel you are spending way too much on this. If this isn't gonna be used on a daily basis why you spending that much money on it? Reduce the power supply down to 600 watts, only need a 250gb ssd, spend half as much on a different motherboard, really don't think you need 6tb of space.

But thats my 2 cents.

Cisco001

I don't see you need to spend $3000.

Is there a real need for 6TB storage?

Why do you spend $700 on monitor for occasional use?

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Per others that seems a bit steep but maybe your financial situation isn't a bad one. That being said it is a lot bucks without so much bang.

What kind of games do they play? You could easily drop to a 1070 or 1060 while retaining great performance. Since you have a bulk storage mechanism I would go for a 500 or 250 GB SSD since you can store larger things on the hard drives. If you want multiple drives with redundancy I'd suggest setting up a NAS for that storage.

You can also tone down the PSU a bit if it saves some dollars, even a decent 750 or 850w would handle multiple cards in SLI.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1080-2-way-sli-review,4.html