Opps, I messed up my external....

sn1ckers

Hmm... Well the hdd doesn't show up, so something isn't working right. Later this afternoon I'll try it in the external again. Then if that doesn't work I'll try it in the desktop again. I really doubt that the hard drive has a problem something else. I was using it two days before the USB incident. In the mean time, the hdd was in the external in my car as I traveled.

Thanks for your help.

Edit:

Okay I put the drive back into the external case. It still wouldn't work, but I now know that it is for sure the hard drive. The hard drive does not heat up at all. I left the computer run for a few minutes, but it did not generate any heat (the hdd that is). So now what does this mean? What does it mean if neither the BIOS or Windows detects that it is there (no matter how it is connected)? I'm assuming that it means that the hdd is seriously damaged (maybe not the data), and it is rendered inaccessible. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys, even though it frustrating, I'm having some fun learning.

Last edited:

Starman*

The additional information you provided shed different light on the problem.

If the external drive had been up and running previously (which does not seem to be the case) then the incorrect usb connection would be the focus of the problem.

If the external drive setup had never been working, then the usb connection is much less relevant. You would also look at the general setup. In particular whether the hdd had been damaged on installation (eg connecting to a faulty enclosure or reversing power or sata connections?!), or during handling (eg touching a terminal and discharging static). If the hdd was unenclosed (not in an anti-static bag) and in the car, and you picked it up while standing on the ground, there could have been a considerable amount of static transferred.

Other factors like non-installation of drivers etc would not affect the hdd and it would work when put back in the original pc. Per my last post I don't think the reverse usb polarity would damage the hdd, just the enclosure electronics if anything.

Starman*

sn1ckers

The drive was enclosed the entire time I was traveling. can static shocks go throguh the case to the drive? I don't remember ever giving the case a shock. I never dropped it. It is odd. I took a couple pictures of the drive... To me it looks sort of like it was on an electric chair (I never noticed this before).

I need to get them off my phone and upload them... In a couple minutes

EDIT:

That probably changes things doesn't it :) In case you can't tell... The stuff surrounded by red has the appearance that one of those little army guys does after you put a blow torch on them. :D I think I may have found the problem. I guess it helps if you look at the bottom of the drive. FOr as much as I moved the stupid thing around I didn't think to look at it, maybe I was so paranoid of breaking it I thought my stare would destroy it or something.

Last edited:

Starman*

Static is usually on the outside surface. It does not matter if the hdd is charged; it matters if something at ground potential touches it, or the terminals in particular. That would make a sudden discharge. If the hdd was left in the car, the charge would slowly disappear once the car stopped. Put in a box or enclosure would greatly reduce risk.

Re photos, "..has the appearance that one of those little army guys does after you put a blow torch on them". Errr, OK.

I checked my Maxtor drive underneath and the matt black paint is pristine. Your discolouring could be signs of a bad paint job or the drive was over something very hot. I doubt another hdd or dvd drive underneath could produce that sort of effect. I can't visualize an everyday situation where an electrical discharge could cause it either. It may not even be relevant, difficult to say.

Starman*

sn1ckers

The army guy was an exaggeration. It does look like someone held a ligter under it. I has that bubbly/melted appearance. When it was in the car it was in the external case, so it should be fine from that. I don't think that there is anything that I can do. Maybe wait and see if it heals itself, but I really doubt that that will happen. So for now I'll plan on buying some new hard drives, and make back-ups of what I back up. Unless you have any more ideas about this drive?

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Starman*

I think we're just about done. Hdds do fail without help from us. You should follow up on your suggestion of trying every test again. You may have missed something.

Starman*

sn1ckers

I will. I'll get some new stuff, recollect my data, and ever once and a while, work on this one... I might seek out the guy that teaches the PC Troubleshoot class and see what he has to say, not that I expect anything useful to come of, more just to cover all the available resources.

Thanks for all you help. I'm sure I'll ask for more (probably when I get new gear and need help with back-up and synchronization.)

Thanks