Optical Audio Output/Input...

Marzeth

I need to know if Optical Audio jacks are input AND output, not necessarily one or the other.

I've got a couple of components pluged to my TV via HDMI and want to use my 5.1 surround sound capabilities through my receiver.

I've bought an optical audio cable and plugged it on my TV to my Receiver, but surprisingly, my TV has an Output Optical Cable and so does my receiver, but guess what! My receiver has no Input... Why oh why oh why why why?!?

Does that make any sense to anyone? It's the receiver!!! It's supposed to do the job!!! Not delegate it!!! I'm sorry... I got a little excited... angry... and upset...

(breaths in deeply and exhales)

...I'm just hoping that the jacks are good for in and out. So... is it?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
That is very strange your receiver doesn't have an optical input. What kind is it? Are we talking about some rather "nice" one, or something more along the lines of a "Home theater in a box" deal?

Regardless, do you have coax input available on either of your devices? That's how I'm feeding audio from my DVD player into my receiver and I'm very pleased with the audio. And what's better is basically any standard RCA cable can carry the signal.

Michael

Sounds like a faulty input..

On my receiver, there are 3 optical plugs - 2x Toslink and 1x Digital Coaxil, all are inputs.

I could see, possibly, a HTIB having an optical output.. being as most HTIBs are low-end, maybe they were preparing for the possibility of an upgrade? Not sure.

Again, sounds like a faulty input, to me.