Optical Drive Problem.

NLAlston

Today, I had to burn some audio files to a CDR, but found that I wasn't able to. My sole optical drive, in my PC, wasn't recognized. The attached will show that there is a yellowish, triangular warning sign next to my CD Rom device indicator, int he Device Manager. I have tried updating the driver, and have been met with a notice that my hardware is using the current driver for it. I have even attempted uninstalling it, and restarting my computer. But have been continually plagued with the same problem.

I also have two external optical drives, that I have just recently tried with my PC, but they aren't recognized either. I don't know what else to try, but really need this straightened out before Friday.

Any Ideas?

Advanced thanks,
Nathan

Last edited:

NLAlston

Most likely you have a corrupt registry setting that is causing this issue please go here and run the fix it file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Thanks John.

I really do appreciate your efforts to help me, but my problem persists. Nothing has been unplugged from the innards of my system, as I have not ventured there, as of late. I don't know what has happened, because of the fact that I haven't done anything differently than from when all was functioning well. If demise of the internal drive was the only issue, I would have no problem replacing it with a new one. But what has me stumped is that not even my two external optical drives will show up when connected.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That message doesn't make any sense. The system detects the drive but just can't set it up properly. Go back to that link I gave you and do the registry edit manaully for whatever operating system you are running. If both lower and upper filters key exist, delete both and then reboot the system.

Try this different fix first though.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

This actually a different file.

Geoff

VIP Member
That message doesn't make any sense. The system detects the drive but just can't set it up properly. Go back to that link I gave you and do the registry edit manaully for whatever operating system you are running. If both lower and upper filters key exist, delete both and then reboot the system.

Agreed, it's very poorly written as well.

NLAlston

John, I seem to be back in stroke now.

I went under the Windows 7 "Remove And Reinstall drivers", and followed that process - again (I had first done this even before authoring my dilema, here, but to no avail). This time, however, a visit back to the Device Manager revealed that the yellow triangle - which had been associated with my optical drive - was no more. The other one (coprocessor) was still there, but I will deal with that at another time.

I am so thankful to have the drive working again, as I have a job to get done by tomorrow. Many, many thanks to you for stepping in to aid me.

NLAlston

Update.

Well, I thought that I was truly out of the water - regarding the optical drive problem that I'd been faced with. But I just learned that this wasn't so. As I had arrived to the point where my drive was - once again - reading the disks, I just assumed that there'd be no problem with the writing aspect of the burner. I just recently finished up a project, and attempted to burn the files to CDR's. My burner kept giving notice that a proper (clean) disk had to be inserted in order for the process to commence. I tried a number of different disks (all clean, mind you) and the same notice were given for all of them. I then tried one of my external burners, and found that the problem was yet the same.

Man, what a headache.

NLAlston

Almost embarrassed...

...to come back here and admit this:

But (first) it isn't always a good thing to be rushing through something.

I had mistakenly inserted the wrong type of disks into my optical drive unit. I was dealing with Wav files, but putting in DVDR disks. My disks (DVDR and CDR types) are both of the clear face design, and I just ahdn't paid enough attention to what I was doing.

Lesson learned :).