Option to upgrade the storage of a laptop

jalcace

Hi humans!
I have a Acer SP314-51-529G. It's a 2-in-1 laptop. It has:
-4 GB of RAM
-Intel i5 8250U
-16 GB Optane memory
-1 TB HDD
I use it mostly for office work. I would like to uptade the storage but I'm not sure what would give more performance:
1. Change the optane memory for a MVMe SDD and keep the HDD
2. Change the HDD for a 2.5" SDD and keep the optane memory
The first option gives me more storage but I don't know if removing the optane stick would negatively impact the system performance.
Thank you so much!

jalcace

You definitely need more then 4 gb of ram. Concentrate on that first.
I think I cannot upgrade the RAM. It's one of those that are welded to the motherboard. (I add an photograph of what I think is the RAM, below the gray sticker)
222dcf6d1dd-3926-409a-a2d4-cd2f57b7f11d.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
According to specs, that machine can take up to 32gb of ram. Not sure what that picture is you posted.

beers

Staff member
#1 probably the most cost effective, perf would be better on larger transfers or really any data not cached on optane since you wouldn't have a slow HDD to fall back to.
#2 you'd have to go 2TB to at least see an extra benefit.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
After doing more research online it seems there is misinformation about the amount of ram it takes. There is another article that shows the same picture you posted and says that the soldered ram is underneath that tape and you can't add more.

If thats the case, then you are basically out of luck and need a new laptop that supports more ram. I would not add more storage as your machine will still be slow due to the low amount of ram. Sell it and get something better.

OmniDyne

Hi humans!
I have a Acer SP314-51-529G. It's a 2-in-1 laptop. It has:
-4 GB of RAM
-Intel i5 8250U
-16 GB Optane memory
-1 TB HDD
I use it mostly for office work. I would like to uptade the storage but I'm not sure what would give more performance:
1. Change the optane memory for a MVMe SDD and keep the HDD
2. Change the HDD for a 2.5" SDD and keep the optane memory
The first option gives me more storage but I don't know if removing the optane stick would negatively impact the system performance.
Thank you so much!
How does the computer run? Are you saying it's slow?
You definitely need more then 4 gb of ram. Concentrate on that first.
I do wonder about this though. We have two machines at work that run Windows 10 with 4 gigs of RAM just fine; Excel, Outlook, billing program, Laserfiche, Malwarebytes, payment hosting, multiple Chrome tabs, etc. Windows RAM management seems so much better now.

OmniDyne

I refuse to use 4 GB for general productivity.
As should anyone. If the laptop is slow, it's the hard disk. I wouldn't necessarily state that the laptop will still be slow after a drive upgrade, if basic usage is the workload.

Or, we can continue the current trend of the thread where the OP was basically just told to trash a practically new, expensive computer.