organising photos

Hey,

bit of a strange thing to ask but what ways do people use to organize the mass of pictures on the hard drive?

Got shed loads of images that we have collected over the years and need to put them in some form of order however just don't know where to start.

There are going to be some duplication's along the way however dealing them that is another issue entirely.

Any advise gratefully accepted?

Thanks

I was thinking of something a little more complex than that however......your right.......

why try and complicate it - the simplest methods generally the best.

Gotta tell you that I am feeling a little silly now :)

Thanks again.

Scott

tremmor

I sort by year and drop pictures in there for that year. I rename each picture like Christmas, Costa Rica, fishing fly in or daughters birthday party. It made it very easy also to make a slideshow dropping in appropriate music for each year. The music was for that year.

Did a fantastic slideshow for my parents. my dad had all picture slides dated and where. going all the way back to the 30's. Mine went back to vietnam.

spirit

Staff member
I have a folder where I keep my photos. Inside the folder are folders named with the years, like so:

1_zps27dd74f0.png

Then inside say the '2012' folder there are folders named the months of the year (it's the same with my '2013' folder too):

2_zps0f9e167b.png

Then inside those folders are folders with the dates and the subject/event the photos were taken at which is where the photos themselves are located:

3_zps81efd4db.png

If the photos were taken on my D-SLR and some files have been processed, the processed photos are always in a photo called 'Processed Photos', and the RAW files are just in the folder with the date:

4_zps4cc7de38.png

This is the easiest way to organise my photos I find. So long as I can remember the date the photo was taken, I can find the file.

Last edited:

TFT

VIP Member
At the most basic level your photo's should have been organised on the hard disc, like said by others.
I then use Photoshop Elements organiser for a more detailed catalogue where I can filter my search by adding 'tags' but even without elements you have to have some organisation.

Backing up becomes much easier if there is order and not having them scattered all over.