OS appears unstable

KaBone

Back again, sorry. I don't think my operating system is stable. I slipstreamed SP2 on XP Pro (ver. '02) and it booted fine on my new build. I then started installing the hardware drivers, virus scan, and Windows updates like SP3. Some of the installs had more difficulty than others, like freezing. I didn't think too much of it until I felt it was happening too frequently. I don't remember having this much trouble installing on the Dell that this computer is intended to replace. I thought it might be the dvd drive and then when it was time for me to go to bed, I shut down the computer and got a couple of pop ups that said a program wasn't responding, click to end now. The last pop up told me that Windows 16-bit has having problems and could be unstable. Any thoughts?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I remember having problems like that a few years ago. Google 16-bit errors on XP and see if any of those hits are examples of the problems you are having. I can't remember if I just reformatted and started over or actually fixed it using one of those hits on google, its been so long.

KaBone

I did the google thing, found a link to a procedure to correct the problem. It instructed me to restore some file to the system32 folder. However, those files were already there. Indicative of another problem? The OS seems stable now. Perhaps all the installs and updates caused confusion and that's what made some freeze up.