OS not found

Eddie_X

i have a computer i just reformated and instaled windows xp on it, but after it copys the files to the compuer it will restart and take me back to where i was befor asking me to either reformat or instal or repair windows, when i take the cd out and restart it says that it cant find the os
have any ideas what i can do to fix this??

atomic

check in your bios that it is set to boot from cd 1st and then your hd 2nd.

Also i had this problem 2 weeks ago...It would keep going back to the install or repair. All i did was open the cd-rom drive on power up then when it got past the bit where it booted of the cd i closed it again worked fine.

Eddie_X

the computer is a hp invent and when u turn it on it goes from the black screen to this blue screen that says hp invent on it then to a black screen where it says os not found....

also i did check the bios and it is set for the floppy first then the cd then the hd....

BishBosh

check in your bios that it is set to boot from cd 1st and then your hd 2nd.
Ah but .. if Eddie_X has an older BIOS it might not have the "Press any key to boot from CD" then the timeout dots, and instead, just boot from CD again when it should be booting from the hard disk (stage 2 of the install).

Just thinking out loud, as I've seen this issue before.

However, just as you say, opening the CD drawer at reboot time should do the trick.

Eddie_X

yes my mobo is old and i dont have that press any key to boot from cd thing, like on a newer mobo, so i made my hd the first boot on my computer and cd 2nd but it still boots from the cd trying to reinstal windows, and when i take the cd out i get the same os not found....

Eddie_X

i looked on my hd and the pin was changed to slave ...so i put it to master and it works now.....only problem is that it now says that "NTLDR is missing" so i cant get any farther

atomic

first of do you have a floppy disk in the drive?? :p just checking.

Id format the hard drive and restart the installation now that you have your hard drive setup right. If that fails here is a list of things that can cause this problem to occur:

1. Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
2. Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
3. Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
4. Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
5. Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.
6. New hard disk drive being added.
7. Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
8. Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
9. Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
when you format, make sure that when you partition the hard drive, you make 1 partition as the whole drive. dont make more than 1 partition, you can do that from within windows. make the 1 partition the whole drive, as much space as you can.