OS on HDD or SSD

sark

Hi all.

I’m about to add an SSD to my desktop (that is primarily used for HD video editing). If boot and application loading times are not important to me, and I intend using the SSD for a documents folder where encoded video can initially be saved to, is there any other significant advantage to installing Windows and program apps on the SSD instead of the HDD.

Creating an image of a HDD’s OS and apps partition is straight forward, and there are no issues with defragging, so unless there are other significant benefits to installing the OS and apps to the SSD I’d rather keep things as they are with the SSD as fast storage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sark

using a ssd for you operating system will significantly speed up the boot times and load times of of apps and your browser and things like that but ssds generally have lower storage space
hdds have alot more storage space but because the parts are mechanical this results in slower load times and slower boot times
i recommend you install your operating system on your ssd and documents and games on the hdd
ssds last longer and are less likely to break because they have no moving parts, they also have high read/write speeds meaning everything will open faster
regarding defratmentation ssds do not need to be defragged
you could also go on youtube and watch videos about the pros and cons of both drives to make the best decision regarding your question

beers

Staff member
Put the OS on the SSD, it's night and day difference from a general usability perspective.

sark

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to fit the drive tonight and install the OS and apps on the SSD, and use the HDD for storage etc.

Sark