OS Question

daflo1

my parents are devorced so i got 2 computer one at each house. I am gonna buy windows Xp Pro and i was woundering if i will be able to install it on both machines or will i have to buy 2 seperate ones? :confused: :eek:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Microsoft calls it casual copying and it is ILLEGAL.

They have introduced something called "Activation"

essentially it allows you to activate and re-install XP or any office products as many times ON THE SAME MACHINE.. but if you try and install it on another machine you will not be able to activate it and after 30 days the OS or programs will not work.

..so to answer your question:

You will have to buy two.

4W4K3

VIP Member
get an external harddrive...just make sure systems have identical hardware and you can take all ur info with you. easy as pie. lol

SFR

Truth fears no questions
LOL....

that is HORRIBLE..

I wonder if they look up your hardware or MAC address or something like that...

but you can also call them to activate it (if you have no internet connection)

hmmm...

oh well ... because I am at a college that has a microsoft something-or-other partnership I bought office 2003 pro for $65, viseo and project for $19.97, XP pro for $8.99 and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 for $14.99

4W4K3

VIP Member
SFR said:
oh well ... because I am at a college that has a microsoft something-or-other partnership I bought office 2003 pro for $65, viseo and project for $19.97, XP pro for $8.99 and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 for $14.99

that's a great deal. i just get it from my dad lol, he also has a microsoft contract. what college u at?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I went to UCSB.. (University of California Santa Barbara) for two years... it was basically one party after another and I got very little done...

Now Im back in San Diego and I am going to a computer school called Coleman College.

daflo1

SFR said:
I bought office 2003 pro for $65, viseo and project for $19.97, XP pro for $8.99 and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 for $14.99

hey buy me one of those xp pros! or 2 :D

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Yeah thats what my dad told me (since he is the one paying for my college education...)

While it would be a great business to start buying cheap software from school and selling it for a "little bit" more...

... I try and do things , when it comes to the computer world, as LEGAL as possible...

but.. if I buy ONE or TWO too many of some software... I will be sure to let some of you know about it...

Verrona

Oh sorry 2 interlude, but if u get ur hands on Windows XP, n install it on ur PC, microsoft aint gonna know that u've installed it on another 1. Remember just dont regisiter it!!!

I have given loads of distro's 2 my mates !!!

I also gave them OFfice XP with FRont Page n thats £400!!!!

Remember my family moto (i think thats how u spell it): "If u dont get caught it aint Illegal" ;)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
LOL

Microsoft introduced with windows XP and the new 2003 OFFICE products something they like to call "activation".

It is a seperate entitiy from registering the products. Registering sends info about yourself to Microsoft for them to use and abuse....

Activation checks your hardware and product ID to make sure your are not installing the software on another machine. You are able to reinstall the software ON THE SAME machine, so long as you do not make radical changes to the hardware.

daflo1

u say dont not register . if u dont regester does that mean u dont get the updates? and if u dont register can u still get updates my going to a site that hs them?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
At the launch of WinXP Microsoft offered family licenses (the license for the second PC costing less than the main license). But I don't know if it's still available...

SFR

Truth fears no questions
daflo1 have you installed XP before?

..I ask this because REGISTERING is not what it used to mean...

there is A NEW THING called Activation which is not registering in-terms of giving them your personal information etc...

Activation checks the hardware and product ID and saves it...

if you reinstall the OS it compares the two if they dont match.. u cant use the OS if they do match you can.

If you do not activate the software you have 30 days and then it will no longer work.

Verrona

Well everytime i give out software, every1 seems 2 get along fine. No one going to jail, no problems with this "ACTIVATION" thing u keep going on about!!

daflo1

that activtion thingy sounds really gay. wat if ur computer brakes down or u want to upgrade some hardware u wont be able to use the same os? WOW that is gay.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Yeah.. the losers at Microsoft came up with the Activation concept..... ...

Microsoft's intent was to keep people from casually copying and pirating their software... and to answer the question about hardware changes... its drastic hardware changes... and you can always contact them about major changes...

and like others have said... you can always go the ILLEGAL route... but Im not jumping off the bridge with you.