OS re-installing help

Manakore

IUsecure (the wifi network at my campus) claims that my laptop is compromised and has to completely reinstall the operating system (Windows 7) on the computer.

My laptop only came with a driver and update disc, so I am assuming this won't work. I do have a windows 7 upgrade disc that I have never used, as well as a windows 7 OEM full version disc I used to build my desktop. Will any of these discs work in this situation?

Also, one of the steps to fix my computer before I can gain access back to IUsecure states that I need to reinstall my OS and reformat my HDD. Will going through the step-by-step reinstallation process take care of reformatting my HDD? Or is that something else entirely?

I believe what caused the problem is was my laptop was updating today and I decided to turn it off before the updates were finished (I needed it for class). Would this cause a network to think my laptop was compromised? It tells my that the reason was a botted host. Thanks for the help! I really need it this time!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Why don't you run some virus/malware scans? Download and run Malwarebytes and see what it shows.

Manakore

Why don't you run some virus/malware scans? Download and run Malwarebytes and see what it shows.

I would absolutely love to do this, but IUSecure restricts my access and I am unable to connect to the internet as a result. We aren't allowed to have our own routers setup either, which prevents me from grabbing my own internet. This idea could work when I drive home this weekend and have proper access to the internet, but I still run the risk of not being able to connect to IUSecure until I do as it commands, whether my computer is virus free or not. Quite the predicament.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I think its pretty stupid if you really have to format and reinstall. 95 percent of all infections can be cleaned up with no issues. I would talk to them to see if you take it home over the weekend and make sure its clean if they will allow it back online. I can work with you over the weekend, if they will allow it.

Manakore

Also, which disc would I use to reinstall my W7? And what exactly did it mean by telling me to reformat my HDD?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your laptop probably came with a recovery partition or recovery cd that you boot into that will format the drive and reinstall windows.

Manakore

I think its pretty stupid if you really have to format and reinstall. 95 percent of all infections can be cleaned up with no issues. I would talk to them to see if you take it home over the weekend and make sure its clean if they will allow it back online. I can work with you over the weekend, if they will allow it.

Thank you, I am greatly appreciating the help. I agree its ludicrous, and if they fix it they will charge $75 and take three days... I will take it home tomorrow and run Malwarebytes.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I agree with johnb35.Run a malware scan and clean if it finds anything.There is no point in reinstalling Windows every time when you get infected...

Manakore

I agree with johnb35.Run a malware scan and clean if it finds anything.There is no point in reinstalling Windows every time when you get infected...

I completely agree and this is what I will do tonight, but I have a feeling IUSecure won't let me connect to the internet on the campus until I do as they command. Hopefully I am wrong.

Manakore

Surprise! Malwarebytes detected 0 viruses... and IUSecure still will not let me access the internet. So, if I am to do an OS reinstall what disc should I use? The only disc that came with my laptop is a Dell diagnostics and driver/utilities disc. I have a windows 7 full and a windows 7 upgrade disc as well. Also, it asks for me to reformat my HDD during the same step as reinstalling the OS. What exactly does that entail?

Thanks for all the help and support!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Boot up your computer
Before the boot screen, press F8 and choose "Repair Your Computer"
Let it boot up
Cancel the automatic startup repair
Go into advanced options
The bottom will be the factory image recovery. Select that.

Remember to back up anything you need, because the recovery will format the drive and reinstall Windows.

Manakore

Boot up your computer
Before the boot screen, press F8 and choose "Repair Your Computer"
Let it boot up
Cancel the automatic startup repair
Go into advanced options
The bottom will be the factory image recovery. Select that.

Remember to back up anything you need, because the recovery will format the drive and reinstall Windows.

Okay so it reformats the HDD for me, thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just because malwarebytes doesn't find anything doesn't mean there wasn't anything on there. Thats why I said I would work with you during the weekend. You could have ran tdsskiller to see if you had a rootkit and also combofix. As I have told many other users, nothing is full proof, it takes many different scanners to determine if your machine is clean or not.

Manakore

Just because malwarebytes doesn't find anything doesn't mean there wasn't anything on there. Thats why I said I would work with you during the weekend. You could have ran tdsskiller to see if you had a rootkit and also combofix. As I have told many other users, nothing is full proof, it takes many different scanners to determine if your machine is clean or not.

I see, well I didn't even have time to try to do anything beyond running malwarebytes over the weekend. It was full of homework and moving. I'll look more into it tonight and see what I can figure out. I'll post back here if I have further questions.

Manakore

Thanks for the help guys; I finally got my internet back on campus.

I followed through as if I had reinstalled my OS as it demands and it worked. I think turning off my PC while it was updating caused the network to think my laptop was compromised. However, I definitely don't have a virus, otherwise IUSecure would have blocked me again.