OS Rebooting on its Own

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you aren't using an Intellimouse then he's asking you to do something that doesn't exist.

Please zip up this file and attach it to your next post.

C:\Windows\Minidump\050513-17721-01.dmp

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As expected, you are still having memory issues. This bluescreen was related with explorer.exe. Can you try using some different known good memory?

Are you saying that the memory I have (stated below) is bad? Should I replace it (I don't have any extra, I'll just have to order it)? If so what would you recommend? I need at least 4GB.
Sorry for all of these questions, but I am still learning.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

When I've tried booting to a cd in the past, it would bypass it and just boot from the hard drive. How would I make it boot to the cd?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can let it run overnight but definately let it run a few hours and see what the finding are. Usually if you have bad memory, you'll know within the first 30 minutes or so. Suggest at least a few passes.

OK. I know this might sound crazy, but am I supposed to see my desktop while its running? I did change the boot order in the BIOS, and it did go to the CD, but my desktop also came up.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, windows will not load. It will boot to the cd and immediately you will see a blue screen with white lettering and will start running the test. You can't just burn the file to a cd. You actually have to write the image to a cd. What software did you use to burn the file to cd?

I ran the memtest twice, first one for 5 1/2 hrs and the second one for 2 1/2. Not sure what data you need, but both times it came up with 0 for errors. I wrote down everything else that was in the table on the screen.

What do you suggest I do next?

Okedokey

It sounds to me like you have graphics driver instability still to me.

1. restart in safe mode (Tap f8) with networking
  2. Please download and install DriverSweeper.
  3. Please download Latest ATi driver for your graphics (don't install yet).
  4. Uninstall ATi drivers via Add and Remove Programs. If it wants to restart, do it, and return to safe mode again.
  5. Run Driversweeper for ATi and NVidia graphics.
  6. Restart normally
  7. Install the latest driver
  8. Restart

If that works, create a System Restore Point.

Last edited:
Okedokey - thanks for you instructions. I believe it may be working correctly. I need to run it for awhile and make sure. One point, when I used Drivesweeper, there were no ATI or NVidia drivers. They were all AMD, which I deleted and then followed the rest of your steps. Below is the graphics card I am using. Did I miss something else?

1 x GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-1GD Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

Well, it looks like it didn't work after all. After sitting idle for a few days and just now turning it back on, the blue screen came back on. I am running the memtest again, overnight to see what is says.