Out of date desktop

sam.r.m11

Seeing as there is so much new tech been released everyday i was trying to find out how my 4 year old build stands up and what things could be done to improve it without a total rebuild.
specs as follows.
  • ASRock Fatality H87 performance mobo
  • i7 4770k oc to 4.3 GHz
  • nzxt kraken x61 with push pull fan setup
  • asus turbo geforce gtx 970 4gb
  • 16gb ddr3 geil ram
  • 120gb ssd for OS
  • 800gb ssd for important files
  • 4tb hdd for all other files
  • all tidily sitting in a nzxt h440 case
it was my first build and has only had the gpu upgraded in 4 years.
thoughts?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Are you suffering performance issues when gaming or anything like that? The only thing I'd say could use an upgrade if you see fit is the video card, as the GTX 970 only has 3.5GB of vRAM.

sam.r.m11

Well thats what i dont know. Been my first real gaming rig i havent much to compair to. It will sit at 50-60 fps with all maxed out. The only real killer has been nvida hair works on witcher 3 . Im not saying its a cheap or slow build im more so asking what could be better since ive been out of the loop for a while.

beers

Staff member
Should be fine for a couple years I think, depending on your performance expectation. I'm kind of hot for a new 8c/16t Ryzen CPU but it honestly won't benefit my workload to a huge degree.

You'd likely get over 60 FPS by disabling vsync.

mistersprinkles

Well thats what i dont know. Been my first real gaming rig i havent much to compair to. It will sit at 50-60 fps with all maxed out. The only real killer has been nvida hair works on witcher 3 . Im not saying its a cheap or slow build im more so asking what could be better since ive been out of the loop for a while.

Try lower/no Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering. Motion blur kills FPS too.

Your system could handle a better GPU. A GTX 1070 would give you a quite substantial perf boost. Not cheap though.

AMD Vega comes out soon and may offer better price/perf ratios (as is often the case with AMD but not always).

Should be fine for a couple years I think, depending on your performance expectation. I'm kind of hot for a new 8c/16t Ryzen CPU but it honestly won't benefit my workload to a huge degree.

You'd likely get over 60 FPS by disabling vsync.

some people can't stand tearing. I'm one of them. It makes me want to rip my hair out. My G-Sync monitor saved my life. (Not literally but you know....)

Jiniix

If it handles that, it will most likely handle a GTX 1070 as suggested. Remember, the original Steambox was an i7+GTX Titan with a 450W PSU :)
However I wanna state that your motherboard doesn't support overclocking, you'd need a Z-chipset, not H. Not sure how you'd get 4.3GHz besides BLCK overclocking, which is not recommended :)

Okedokey

That machine is good. Not bad at all. If you want more gaming grunt add another 970.

Other than that, bios updates, driver updates, fresh OS install etc etc.

*Edit* actually scrap that it strangely dosen't seem to support SLi, only Xfire.