Outboard Water cooling

dragonbat13

I read the watercooling sticky, Just had a question

Would it be possible to have the pump, radiators, and fans in an outboard case that would be seperate from the tower? I was just thinking that most of the airflow would be limited to the cooler case. Only the processor and videocard blocks would be in the tower. That way most of the dust would collect in the outboard case, which could be designed for easy cleaning.

Is there any good articles on the web about this?

Machin3

Yeah it is possible. The only thing you might have a problem with is if your pump would be able to pump the water. I've seen water cooling setups like you are talking about but there are usually two pumps in the loop. One in the outside case and one in the normal component tower.

Machin3

Yeah something similar except he'll probably want to get triple or quadruple radiators and put them into another case.

dragonbat13

I would build the cooler out of an old computer case, or buy one. It would be smaller than the tower.

Why would you need two pumps? I could understand if it were across the room from the computer, but I am going to keep it as close to the tower as possible. Fortunatly my career is heavy in moving fluids at a given rate (petroleum industry) So figuring out the water flow rate isnt a problem. Also I would maximize the cooling effect of the radiators by making it with as much width and height as possible instead of stacking, which should work better for the same amount of water. Also I would try to move the water as slowly as possible to allow for maximum heat transfer and retention time in the radiators and cooling blocks. I dont know what the normal flow rate is for a watercooled computer is so it could very well be that pumps just are not made for the application. If I have to run two pumps I would, not trying to argue the statement that two are needed, just wondering if there is a way around it.

Pell

:/ i have a simple build. but i find it so unnecisery to have so much water cooling and fans. Of course im sure its excellent its jsut my opinion.

Machin3

I would build the cooler out of an old computer case, or buy one. It would be smaller than the tower.

Why would you need two pumps? I could understand if it were across the room from the computer, but I am going to keep it as close to the tower as possible. Fortunatly my career is heavy in moving fluids at a given rate (petroleum industry) So figuring out the water flow rate isnt a problem. Also I would maximize the cooling effect of the radiators by making it with as much width and height as possible instead of stacking, which should work better for the same amount of water. Also I would try to move the water as slowly as possible to allow for maximum heat transfer and retention time in the radiators and cooling blocks. I dont know what the normal flow rate is for a watercooled computer is so it could very well be that pumps just are not made for the application. If I have to run two pumps I would, not trying to argue the statement that two are needed, just wondering if there is a way around it.

It depends on what kind of pump you'll be using. If your just gonna get a D5 pump then no problem, it has adjustible flow speed but if your going to get say a swiftech mcp355 then that might be a problem.

:/ i have a simple build. but i find it so unnecisery to have so much water cooling and fans. Of course im sure its excellent its jsut my opinion.

Its all about getting the best clock on your components and having it as cool as possible at the same time.

just a noob

It depends on what kind of pump you'll be using. If your just gonna get a D5 pump then no problem, it has adjustible flow speed but if your going to get say a swiftech mcp355 then that might be a problem.

Its all about getting the best clock on your components and having it as cool as possible at the same time.

the d5 is actually less powerful than the ddc 3.2 in terms of head pressure, it has a better flowrate though, and keep in mind those specs are from the stock tops, not with anything aftermarket

Machin3

The d5 has a max pressure of 50psi and transfers around 300 gph, while the mcp355 only has a max pressure of 22psi and transfers about 120 gph.

Juggalo23451

The MCP355 is better than 655 because of the head pressure. the 655 comes close because of the gph. If you get a top for the mcp355 will maximize the perfromance of the mcp355