Outlook 2013 password prompt relentless. Please help

ohdearme

Heeelp. It keeps coming up again and again and again, a passport prompt. No emails are coming in. Also I get an imap "alert" box. About "Failure specific password required. 185883"
Keep well

Attachments

• 1626705666741.png
    1626705666741.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 10

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure the email server settings are correct, might have to contact your email provider to verify settings. Try changing your email password for your provider.

ohdearme

Thank you so much for replying early John , trouble is I don't know what to do re server settings. I'll try changing my password.

novicegeek

From my experience, this occurs a day or two after a password change. The steps below will resolve this problem with Outlook 2019, but I'm not sure about 2013. Below is a step-by-step guide I have used with my computer and computers of my co-workers. If you have any questions, let me know.

Email Issue: After you’ve signed in and checked the “remember me” box, the email still asks for your password. This not an uncommon problem and the fix is fairly simple.

Spoiler alert: this requires a REBOOT, so you’ll probably want to close everything else out.

Step 1:

Go to the control panel (click the windows button and start typing “control” (even if there is not a text box there) and it will pop up in the menu).

Step 2:

Go to “Credentials Manager”

Step 3:

Click on the “Windows Credentials” tab

Step 4:

Under the Generic Credentials section, remove all of the credentials. Don’t worry about removing them; Windows will repopulate them on reboot.

Step 5:

Reboot the computer. (Note: If the computer wants to reboot in Safe Mode, go ahead and let it, then reboot again after the final step and it should reboot normally.)

Step 6:

After reboot, open Outlook and click on the “File” tab

Step 7:

Click on the “Account Settings” box (first one), then click “Account Settings” on the dropdown menu

Step 8:

Make sure your email is highlighted and click the “Change” button.

Step 9:

On the next screen, click the “Next” button.

Step 10:

Try signing in again. It should work this time and, if you clicked the “remember” box, it should not prompt you again.

ohdearme

Thanks so much Novicegeek, but I can't do that as I think I've gone to far. Before your email, I tried deleting the email address completely with a view to starting it up again. Apparently that hasn't happened as the password prompt box keeps appearing although the email address has gone.
What to do now? Oh woe.
Alan

novicegeek

Sorry for the misinformation. That solution works beautifully for that issue with straight up Outlook 2019; however, in re-reading your email, it has finally dawned on me that you are accessing your email account with Outlook.

The good news is, all hope is not lost. I would make sure that POP/IMAP is enabled with both the Outlook and Gmail accounts.

ohdearme

I've not been well, (not Covid) so now I'll try your method with both outlook and the online gmail account.
Alan

ohdearme

Hello all, I'm going to try again, I did have a post entitled "Outlook 2013 password prompt relentless. Please help"​

but I've still got the problem. I have other emails addresses on my Outlook programme,working well, but this one will not receive (or send) any emails.
I just get the prompt. I tried deleting that account yet the prompt did't go away and still doesn't.
Please help if you can and keep it simple.
Alan

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to verify the email server settings is correct. You'll need to contact your email provider for the correct settings. They will be able to help you better then us.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have email, you have an email provider. According to your image in the first post you have a yahoo email address so yahoo is your provider. Access your email from yahoo.com using your account name and password and see if it logs you in. Yahoo is always changing things it seems like email servers, port settings etc.

You can also access outlook settings and compare them to this to make sure they are correct.

ohdearme

Well I don't know what I did but after your advice and fiddling around for ages, I've done it.

Many thanks, a lovely Xmas to you

Alan