Outlook program/Office

Da Mail Man

Greetings,

.......Brother has OFFICE 2000 which is working fine. In it is has OUTLOOK used similarly as Outlook Express which (OUTLOOK) has all his contacts, e-mails, etc....

.......If he obtains a later version of OFFICE (such as maybe 2009 or whatever later year) will that new installation overwrite any of his settings, screw up or delete his e-mails or contact/address book list, etc.?

.......Also, is there a way to back up his address book in OFFICE and/or all his e-mail as i am totally unfamiliar with outlook?

........THANKS AGAIN!!

old_school

He will need to import the old contact lists etc. Not even sure if it will import contact list from that far back. He may need to get "Office XP" then upgrade again. He missed a few upgrades, so their has been many changes, may be to many for it to import correctly at this point. Best bet is a good google search for third party tool or consult Microsoft.

Da Mail Man

.......thanks for the reply.....

.......If he obtains a later version of OFFICE (such as maybe 2009 or whatever later year) will that new installation overwrite any of his settings, screw up or delete his e-mails or contact/address book list, etc.?

...ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS BY ANYONE ELSE?

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to assume that a newer version would import all the data from 2000, but to be safe, you should backup his 2000 .pst folder. That's how I usually do it. Here's a link that shows the steps.

http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm#2000

Just copy the .pst file and paste it somewhere safe on your hard drive. If you install the later version and nothing is imported, you *should* be able to overwrite the .pst file created with the new install with the 2000 .pst file, if that makes sense.

Da Mail Man

I'd like to assume that a newer version would import all the data from 2000, but to be safe, you should backup his 2000 .pst folder. That's how I usually do it. Here's a link that shows the steps.

http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm#2000

Just copy the .pst file and paste it somewhere safe on your hard drive. If you install the later version and nothing is imported, you *should* be able to overwrite the .pst file created with the new install with the 2000 .pst file, if that makes sense.

.........absolutely spectacular!!!!!!!!......THANKS!!!!!!!!!!:D