Outrageous US internet

tremmor

I did too when they came in and locked for about 15 yrs i think. Was nothing else. Have ATT and switch if needed. Maybe WOW would be more competition and even make it more competitive. Have no problem with switching back and forth to save money. I do negotiate. Its called saving money. they will give in for 6mo or a year. If ya don't complain you will get the increase. mine are both high. do the best i can do.

One problem is asking they will give you like HBO or and Cinamax free for six months or so.
After that you get billed. Suggesting to sometime just buy a PPV or sign up and or get Netflex for tv. then again im a news freak only. its a suggestion to keep in mind to avoid problems.

Last edited:

jgoff14

I'm surprised, my grandparents have had Comcast for years with no trouble. In fact every time the bill changes, even a few $$ my grandma calls and they put her right back where she was. She pays $170 for 20Mbit, phone, and all tv except hbo and showtime with 4 hd recievers. I think it's pretty reasonable. No complaints about service quality either. I know that with my internet I'm happy though, I download of steam (about the only time I use it) and I get 6+ Mbytes per second (so in excess of what I pay for). I have low ping and NEVER have gotten below 50. I'll keep em as long as they value me as a customer. The same day they decide they want to charge more I'll cancel.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Any of you guys heard of charter?? It's one of the only providers that will be in my area and they are offering a deal for 12 mb d/l and regular cable with hd channels for $60 for 2 years

tremmor

Know many with Charter. not available though.
I move my providers sometime. just a pain.
another job.
called saving money. what ever i got. they all bump.

apj101

VIP Member
The US has it's population spread over such a wide area, it makes it much more expensive to provide higher speeds to more people. Lack of competition is also a factor in prices, usually you only have one big cable provider in an area, and that lets them slack on the quality of service they provide.

Countries like Japan and Korea are densely populated as well as being technologically advanced allowing them to easily provide everyone with high quality internet. I believe that some countries also have government provided or subsidized internet.
That and the fact under-investment in all its infra-structure by huge amounts.

strollin

I'm currently paying too much for my internet from Comcast but am still pretty happy with it. I get 500Mb downloads and unlimited data for $140/month. $50 of that is for unlimited data. Without unlimited data, we were exceeding the 1TB data limit on a monthly basis. There's 5 adults in our household and we dropped cable TV so we typically use a lot of data. Almost no downtime either, can't remember the last time our connection was down but when it is down, it's back up in a matter of minutes.
9515507025.png

beers

Staff member
I've had the same problems with them cost wise although our gigabit service is about the same price.

We had a provisioning issue with them a couple weeks ago where they blacklisted our modem MAC from the CMTS, but blamed my equipment. Bought a new modem which worked, then hooked up the old one which sync'd immediately. I was pretty irritated when they refused to do anything to resolve the issue, although it looks like they misprovisioned it against traffic accounting so all of the stats indicate 0 bytes used.

Might be a good time to dump unlimited data lol.

strollin

Might be a good time to dump unlimited data lol.
Right now is the perfect time to have unlimited data since Comcast is giving me a credit for that $50/month due to the lock down. Once they stop doing that, I'll keep the unlimited data because it only takes going over the data cap by 250.01GB for their overage fee to hit $60. Before I opted for unlimited data, we had some months where we were charged $100 in overage fees.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yikes... I'm on gigabit for $85cad/mo (940/940) and unlimited data. Although that being said, the competing ISP in the area that is on Cable just started to offer "gigabit" (1000/25) for $125cad/mo. I laughed and was glad I'm no longer a customer of that ISP.

OmniDyne

Yikes... I'm on gigabit for $85cad/mo (940/940) and unlimited data.

My God. $80 a month out here yields us 50 Mbps down and 5 up.

I find it funny how the ISPs all of a sudden can dish out "unlimited" plans. Strange considering they cried to Congress and the courts that it wasn't possible. Hmm...

Another funny thing is that ISPs here refuse to provide anything below 50 Mbps. Why can't I get 25 for like $30 a month? That's all I need.