Outstanding Specs!?

1000 Euros for a Socket 775 board with an old Pentium D, a low-end GT 220 and two hard drives? Even two years ago all of this stuff was really old.

You got ripped off!

Yeah, please note that this is the whole setup cost. The PC parts cost around 850 Euros, but the 1920x1080 Full HD screen costed 250. First screen was a 720p, 1330x733, cost around 120 Euros. Both screens were LED. Keyboard + Mouse make it exactly 1015 Euros. I'm satisfied with the CPU, HDD but I'm not satisfied at all with the GPU.

Asus X550LB-NH52 || Intel i5 4200U 1.6/2.6GHz || 8GB DDR3 1600MHz || NVIDIA GT 740M || Seagate 750GB || 15.6" 1366x768 || Windows 8.1 64-bit

Dear Darren, how much did your PC cost? Your CPU is at 1.6/2.6GHz. My old and trusty Intel Pentium D has 3.20GHz. I don't know if CPU speed only counts on GHz, but I think that my Pentium D is faster than yours. And I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one at this forum that hasn't the GTX series of the nVidia GPUs... Thank god I was scared!

The Pentium D was produced from 2005-2008. If you bought that 2.5 years ago, you were already using a poor performing processor that was at LEAST 4 years old. My rig is about 2 years old as well. For the price of your system, even 2.5 years ago, I'd say it's probably a $500 setup at most.

exactly, as I said above. My system (No OS) costed around 500 Euros and with the OS Around 650. Screen added 250, and now we are at 900 Euros. Upgraded the fans at CPU and GPU, 50 Euros each (Very powerful fans!!!) we came at 1000 Euros. Here you go!

Last edited by a moderator:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Dear Darren, how much did your PC cost? Your CPU is at 1.6/2.6GHz. My old and trusty Intel Pentium D has 3.20GHz. I don't know if CPU speed only counts on GHz, but I think that my Pentium D is faster than yours. And I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one at this forum that hasn't the GTX series of the nVidia GPUs... Thank god I was scared!

You can't just compare today's CPU's by speed. If you look at the ratings, your Pentium D is pathetic compared to both his i5 and AMD FX processors. So just because your CPU is 3.2Ghz doesn't mean jack.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1782&cmp[]=1128&cmp[]=1947

Darren

Staff member

You, uhh, wanna take a look at the line above that? You quoted my laptop. Which is a dual core with hyper threading. Would run circles around your Pentium D. That laptop cost $630 about a year ago.

My desktop has an 8 core at 4.1GHz. So yeah pretty sure my CPU is faster than yours... on both counts. :p

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You, uhh, wanna take a look at the line above that? You quoted my laptop. Which is a dual core with hyper threading. Would run circles around your Pentium D. That laptop cost $630 about a year ago.

My desktop has an 8 core at 4.1GHz. So yeah pretty sure my CPU is faster than yours... on both counts. :p

Yeah just look at the CPU benchmarks. He has a Pentium D 940. It's CPU Mark is 706 while your i5-4200U is 3274 and your FX-8320 is 8062.

I like comparing is Pentium D to my i7. I can run almost 16 circles around him, because the 4790K has a CPU mark of 11249 :p

tylerjrb

Agreed, it's more about the architecture, core count, hyper threading, memory type etc than actual speed. You can have a 5ghz cpu from several years back and it won't beat one half its speed with today's cpu's. It will be much more efficient overall.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Yeah just look at the CPU benchmarks. He has a Pentium D 940. It's CPU Mark is 706 while your i5-4200U is 3274 and your FX-8320 is 8062.

I like comparing is Pentium D to my i7. I can run almost 16 circles around him, because the 4790K has a CPU mark of 11249 :p

Yeah I saw your link after I said that. The 8320 would score even higher than that because mine's at 4.1GHz and they usually are at 3.5GHz when using all 8 cores. I'm essentially running an 8350 locked at the turbo frequency on all cores.

spirit

Staff member
I'm satisfied with the CPU, HDD but I'm not satisfied at all with the GPU.
The whole system is really slow and old now for anything besides basic tasks like browsing and emails etc. If you upgrade the GPU the CPU will bottleneck it unless you get something fairly low-end which would probably be a waste of money.

I can maybe see how this system may have cost 500 Euros new without the OS when it was brand new, but that still does seem a bit expensive and the CPU especially would have been fairly old if you bought all of that stuff together at the same time because the GPU is a couple of years newer than the CPU.

I had a GT 220 in 2010/11 and yeah it was a pretty low-end card. Not really any good for anything other than video playback - certainly not for gaming.

And just to confuse him more, the quad-core i5s are actually faster than this 8-core AMD. It's all about the architecture. :cool:

Anyway, here is a Pentium Dual Core (the Dual Core line-up replaced your Pentium D, the D is clearly so old that Anandtech didn't bench it!) against an AMD FX-8350 (the 8 core that Darren has): http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/70?vs=697 the AMD absolutely runs rings around it, unsurprisingly.

Last edited: