ova clock

g4m3rof1337

can i set a thing lol to overclock the e6300 by it self safely? like have it on a routine
dont look at it as a lazy point of view
iam looking at it more as easier so i dont mess it up thats why i said safely so... is there anything or is oc'ing clock speeds (making it faster,right?) easy?

thealmightyone

There is no automatic overclocking program out there, if thats what you mean.

You have to do it all yourself, and work out what works, and what doesnt work, on you C2D.

g4m3rof1337

is OC'ing the clock speeds *to make it faster, right?* is easy? like what do i need to do? change some stuff? what kinda cooling should i use
what else can i OC in my computer?

thanks btw

Angel.of.Death

You dont seem like a platinum member...

Anyway, all you need to do is raise you FSB a couple of mhz a time and when it hits a wall, try upping the Vcore and try again!

I am going to have to disagree with Angel of Death...gamer, if you don't know what you're doing, I wouldn't exactly recommend going into BIOS and playing with your FSB, multiplier, and especially the vCore....hell, even I won't touch the vCore.

Read OC 101 and familiarize yourself with the terms and what to do. That's how I learned. Once you know what you're doing and why, go into BIOS and raise the FSB a few mhz at a time.

Grey410

Thoughts

Depending on what Motherboard you have there ARE programs that will automatically overclock your system safely. ASUS and ABIT both ship these programs with some of thier boards. My roommates AN8 has it and will go from 1.8ghz to 2.4ghz with no issues right in windows. My ASUS program requires a reboot ( I haven't used it myself). But remember that OC'ing is not really needed and will only get you maybe 6FPS more on average in games and could actually drop your performance. But I do agree you should read OC 101 and read up quite a bit. What kind of mobo/cpu cooler/ram etc do you have? :D

Archangel

VIP Member
Asus motherboards also have the AI overclock function... you go to the No-jumper settings in the bios,.. set the "AI oc settings" to Overclocking profile.. then then i could choose between 1% 2% 5% 8% and 10% overclock in the bios.. and im running it with the 8% setting atm,.. i didnt have much time to overclock it myself yet,.. so it came in quite handy :)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
OCing is easy, you just push the FSB until it won't boot anymore ;)

So basically you go into the BIOS, located the FSB thingy and start upping it by a few mhz at a time. When the system starts to become unstable, up the vcore by a notch (dont do it too much!).

g4m3rof1337

so angel of death are you saying since iam a platinum member, i shouldnt ask questions? cause thats why iam here ... right?
and if you dont like the platinum thing tell a mod or admin to 'lower' the number of posts ive done...

anyways
thanks everyone..else...
since iam new to oc i prolly wont oc right away

yeah i just re-read all the posts here, and i wont touch the fsb or vcore lol
ill read oc101 again and note some stuff

oh and my post count and posts per day seem high, but iam on during the day after ive finished homeschooling

Last edited:

thealmightyone

OCing is easy, you just push the FSB until it won't boot anymore ;)

So basically you go into the BIOS, located the FSB thingy and start upping it by a few mhz at a time. When the system starts to become unstable, up the vcore by a notch (dont do it too much!).

True, the act of increasing the FSB is easy, but it's making sure your system is stable, and working out why it's not stable, and playing with all the settings, that makes overclocking an art.

Simple being able to boot is known as suicidely stable. If it's only just stable enough to boot, it's possible that data will be written to hard drive corruptly, programs will crash etc.

Being able to run 3DMark06 is rather good stability.
Running a 30min pass on OCCT is very good stability.
Running Prime95, one per core, for 5 hours min is better.
Running Prime95 for 12+ hours is excellent.

Angel.of.Death

If you're trying express or state indirectly that knowledge or wisdom is proportional to post count, think again.
so angel of death are you saying since iam a platinum member, i shouldnt ask questions? cause thats why iam here ... right?
and if you dont like the platinum thing tell a mod or admin to 'lower' the number of posts ive done...

Im sorry. It was wrong on my part to say that.

Anyways, thanks almightyone for your help on testing whether the system is 'stable' or not. But when the system hits a wall and cannot boot anymore, how to go back into BIOS and up vcore? Can someone give me some scenarios where upping the vcore is necessary?

Last edited:

thealmightyone

Well, you up the Vcore when:

a) Your system is unstable.
b) The unstability is related to the clock speed of your processor, and not your FSB, or memory speed.

It may be your motherboard needs more chipset voltage to support the FSB, for example.

Angel.of.Death

This thread might help you. There is a post on the second page that explans this thing very well.

http://www.computerforum.com/62825-overclocking-jargon.html

To make it easier, Ill just copy and paste that post here:

Yet another victim to the cruel world of marketing. The FSB is not 1066Mhz, the FSB is 266.5 (to be precised) The 1066 comes from the CPU's being whats referred to as, "Quad-Pumped" hence the real FSB seems a lot higher. [266.5 x 4 = 1066Mhz] In reality you would never deal with that number at all, you would only ever manipulate the 266, thats the one you jack up bit by bit to overclock.

SCENARIO:

Initial FSB = 266
Initial Multi = 9x (locked)
Default clock = 2400Mhz

Jack the FSB up in increments of 5Mhz

New FSB = 270 (lets keep it as round numbers)
Multiplier = 9x (locked)
New clock = 2430Mhz

Skip a few steps and come to this

New FSB = 315Mhz
Multiplier = 9x (locked)
New Clock = 2835Mhz

Get the jist of it yet?

As you puch the FSB higher and higher the CPU will want to eat up more and more voltage, this is of course limited by the motherboard and is where you will then increase the CPU's core voltage (known as Vcore), looking at your post i gather you already know how to handle that bit.

Pushing it even further after that will require you to fiddle with RAM timings and dividers etc... this is where my knowlege becomes sketchy so to save from giving out wrong information ill stop there and let someone else takeover

Hope this helps, and dont forget to read the 101, its very helpful

dragon2309